24VDC switched indicating light powered by 120VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

what does the wiring diagram look like for a amber light that is switched by 24VDC but actually powered by 120VAC?

thanks

skeshesh

Haven't used one like that specifically but I would think it's a regular 120V circuit, one hot and one neutral with a normally open relay that closes when energized from a 24V source.

dicklaxt

What application is this used for?

It may be a 120/24 VAC transformer rectified to DC (AKA Hobbiest Power Supply)

dick

Last edited:

skeshesh

An amber light is usually used for indication. The last time I used one was a blinking LED for letting occupants on each floor know that a dumbwaiter was arriving on the relevant floor. That concept was used during design but I think in the field the dumbwaiter contractor even changed it to indicate it's arrival as it was being loaded on a different floor, the reason being it was transporting research materials in a bioresearch facility that may need to be attended to immediately.
I'm guessing he's using it to indicate whatever even and wants to power it with 120V line voltage while activating it from a 24V circuit of an elevator, dumbwaiter, etc.

ray cyr

what does the wiring diagram look like for a amber light that is switched by 24VDC but actually powered by 120VAC?

thanks

I may be wrong, but it seems as though you are asking how to draw this in one diagram.
I would expect to see this in two diagrams, each referencing the other to indicate the separation of the control side and the power side of the circuits.

gar

Occupation
EE
100807-2045 EST

Designer69:

I do not understand your question.

Let's suppose the question is something like this:

I have an amber pilot light that requires 120 VAC or thereabouts to make it illuminate. Separately I have a 24VDC circuit that when 24 V is present I want the pilot light to turn on.

Since 24 VDC won't directly power the light. and if it were directly connected to the 120 VAC pilot lamp it might damage the pilot light assembly, then you need some sort of relay or power generator from 24 VDC to 120 VAC to operate the light.

Why not use a 24 VDC pilot light?

Note: many 120 VAC pilot lights for industrial purposes use a 6 V bulb and a step down transformer built into the pilot light assembly. Change the assembly to one without a transformer and put in a 24 V LED. Vastly simpler than using a relay.

How you draw your circuit first depends the circuit design.

ray cyr

100807-2045 EST

Designer69:

I do not understand your question.

Let's suppose the question is something like this:

I have an amber pilot light that requires 120 VAC or thereabouts to make it illuminate. Separately I have a 24VDC circuit that when 24 V is present I want the pilot light to turn on.

Since 24 VDC won't directly power the light. and if it were directly connected to the 120 VAC pilot lamp it might damage the pilot light assembly, then you need some sort of relay or power generator from 24 VDC to 120 VAC to operate the light.

Why not use a 24 VDC pilot light?

Note: many 120 VAC pilot lights for industrial purposes use a 6 V bulb and a step down transformer built into the pilot light assembly. Change the assembly to one without a transformer and put in a 24 V LED. Vastly simpler than using a relay.

How you draw your circuit first depends the circuit design.

Just had this situation at work.... we stayed with 120v lights because we had them on hand and needed to get the changes in place and ready to test.

Besoeker

I haven't seen or used the transformer driven lamps in quite a while now. We currently use LED cluster lamps for indication. They are neat and simple and come as a single unit and in various colours including amber. And they're as cheap as chips.

LEDClusterLamps.jpg

Frontoflamps.jpg

mbeatty

Quick diagram

Quick diagram

Attached is a very basic diagram for just controlling a light. It does not show the switch for on and off from the 24VDC source.
Regards,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.