Steel to PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotteng

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I have a commercial client that is installing 100+ wall mount TVs throughout an office space. I would like to specify the use a recessed box designed for this AV application which combines the power and CATV feed in a single 2-gang box with separator. The box is PVC but the power feeds will be in EMT or will be MC. My question is, do they make fittings for this transition (at the box) and is this something that is commonly done? We would obviously need to run a separate ground in this situation, but other than that, anyone see any issues?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
FWIW, I've never been on a commercial project that run metal conduit or metalllic sheathed cable to an interior plastic box for anything. Is there some specific reason for the PVC box?

scotteng

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I have not seen it done either. The recessed box that I am looking at for this installation is PVC and doesn't come in a steel version that gives the nice finished look that the PVC version does. I would have thought by now that there would be more manufacturers making products for recessing power and CATV for a wall mount flat panel TV. The box is made by Arlington Industries and is geared towards residential installation.

http://www.arlcatalog.com/Fan_Specialty/Recessed TV Box, New or Old Work.htm

wireguru

If you only need one receptacle at the TV take a look at the hubbell Jload product. Its cleaner than what you propose as it gives you a single receptacle, one coax, and one keystone insert for tel or lan all in one decora yoke. They have a single gang metal box with divider for it.

Here is the catalog page http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/ResiPowerJload.htm

oops, i see your product is recessed, and old work. So maybe this product wont work for your application but take a look at it anyways.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Arlington is a innovative company and perhaps you should suggest they make a metal box with the same function as the PVC

The PVC box may not be listed for use with EMT or other metal wiring method....

macmikeman

What about setting a j-box, or "C" condulet in the space above the lift out tiles and then going to a workable non metal wiring method from that to the recess box, like pvc or smurf? You will now meet electrical code at least, not sure how building code will fit in this equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.