Trying to get License .. possible roadblock

Status
Not open for further replies.

satox

I have been doing electrical work wiring outdoor signs, installing ceiling fans adding circuits, breakers, plugs, lights for at least 25 years (on the side for friends and family). I was in the air force for 8 years doing highly technical electronics, data acquisition and high voltage installs (this was 20 years ago). I have been doing scientific data acquisition and computer engineering and some electrical work for the past 25 years. I have a bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering.

With all that said I enjoy doing electrical work part time but since I'm older and hopefully smarter I realize the importance of getting things inspected. All the work I do has always been above code.

So now I'm trying to get my license. The current regulations say that I can count my degree as 3 years of experience towards the requirement of having 4 years experience to get my license. The problem is this extra year. I am not going to quit my day job but I still want to get this license. What are my options ? Any advice ?

Cavie

Get a local shop to give you a letter verifying employment and buy him a very big dinner $$. Happens all the time.

satox

Licensing problem

Licensing problem

Cavie... thanks for my first chuckle of the day ...lol.

iwire ...I'm in California

Cavie

Yeah that's real nice.

Nope, that's "The real world". How do you think multi-certified inspectors get their licenses. You think a 35 year old guy has got the required number of years experiance and or schooling to have 4 different licenses???? Please. I speak from experiance. I have worked with these guys.

Last edited:

jmsbrush

We are not talking about an inspectors license. Big difference between the inspectors license and the EC license.

Nope, that's "The real world". How do you think multi-certified inspectors get their licenses. You think a 35 year old guy has got the required number of years experiance and or schooling to have 4 different licenses???? Please. I speak from experiance. I have worked with these guys.

Cavie

We are not talking about an inspectors license. Big difference between the inspectors license and the EC license.

No there is not. Same test. I have EC license and Inpectors license in the State of Florida. Inspectors just don't have to take the business or worker comp sections. Years of experiance are the same for both.

satcom

Yes there is a difference, and when you sign that the man has worked under your license, you had better be ready to back it up with payroll documents, in this state trying a trick like that can get you in a pile of trouble, all you need to do is read the board hearing records, to see what fines and loss of license, lying on board applications did, not to say thre maybe some states you can try to be slick, and not get caught, I would not recommend trying it in New Jersey.

jmsbrush

This is my whole point. I do not agree with Cavie.

Yes there is a difference, and when you sign that the man has worked under your license, you had better be ready to back it up with payroll documents, in this state trying a trick like that can get you in a pile of trouble, all you need to do is read the board hearing records, to see what fines and loss of license, lying on board applications did, not to say thre maybe some states you can try to be slick, and not get caught, I would not recommend trying it in New Jersey.

Cavie

That brings a question to mind. Has anybody ever done a study to determine the most corrupt government, New Jersey or Illious???

Yes we have the same process and violations and fines here. Just stateing how the real word works through my 59 years of observations.

Last edited:

Cavie

Sorry Cavie, that is an opinion.

The license is not the same, When did you take the test?
I was just on the DPBR and its not the same. I do not have my inspectors license but I know many inspectors.

Masters in 1985, business section in 1990 something to be grandfarthered into EC in 1996. Inspectors in 2006. Electric contractors is much harder now then it was in 1985 but my point was that the electiric tech questions are the same for Inspectors and EC's. I just gave the OP an option for his problem that does exist in the real world wether you or anybody else likes it or not.

brentk

Get a part time job for a licensed contractor, it might take a couple years to get the 1 year you need but that is the best advice I have for you.

From my perspective as well I would NOT recommend falsifying documents to get licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.