Oldtimers fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I found this on an 1?" EMT entering the back of a loadcenter. The EMT stuck about an inch and a quarter into the panel. This fitting was placed around the EMT then the enclosure placed over them. Lock nut tightens the whole thing up. The EMT was used as the EGC. Anyone ever see this before or know what its called?

Splitfitting.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Pretty sure you are not looking at a fitting, you are looking at part of a fitting.

I am thinking a type of compression fitting.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Pretty sure you are not looking at a fitting, you are looking at part of a fitting.

I am thinking a type of compression fitting.

Yet the treads are for a lock nut??? I'm thinking this was manufactured of the application I described. I'm questioning whether it was listed for EMT as EGC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It looks like part of a connector like this one. If the product is a listed product then it is suitable for use as part of the equipment ground path.
The advantage of these fittings is when placing a run of conduit between two enclosures that are already installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I found this on an 1?" EMT entering the back of a loadcenter. The EMT stuck about an inch and a quarter into the panel. This fitting was placed around the EMT then the enclosure placed over them. Lock nut tightens the whole thing up. The EMT was used as the EGC. Anyone ever see this before or know what its called?
I am confused here chris. Are you saying there is no connector on the outside of the box. Your statement that the pipe enters the panel and sticks in 1 1/4" -- the locknut is outside? I am missing something here.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Dennis, the part that is in Chris's picture goes inside the enclosure and the threads poke out. Then there is a nut very much like a rain tite outside over the pipe.

I have a fistful of these in in 1/2 and 3/4 my truck for the exact reason Don said. I have never seen them in larger sizes.

chris kennedy

Occupation
I am confused here chris.

Thats news???:grin:

Dennis, the part that is in Chris's picture goes inside the enclosure and the threads poke out. Then there is a nut very much like a rain tite outside over the pipe.

I have a fistful of these in in 1/2 and 3/4 my truck for the exact reason Don said. I have never seen them in larger sizes.

Backwards Dave, the fitting was slipped over the EMT with the threads sticking out. Then the enclosure was mounted to the wall with the EMT and threads sticking into the enclosure. Lock nut then installed inside. FWIW, I cut the EMT back and installed a compression connector.

iwire

Staff member
Backwards Dave, the fitting was slipped over the EMT with the threads sticking out. Then the enclosure was mounted to the wall with the EMT and threads sticking into the enclosure. Lock nut then installed inside. FWIW, I cut the EMT back and installed a compression connector.

Yes but the way you found it installed was hacked, it is supposed to be part of the fitting Don linked too.

On the inside all you would see is the flared chase opening on the outside a hex shaped piece that you tighten.

At least that is my guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes but the way you found it installed was hacked, it is supposed to be part of the fitting Don linked too.

On the inside all you would see is the flared chase opening on the outside a hex shaped piece that you tighten.

Bob did you see the link that Dick gave us. Looks like that's the whole fitting.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Now I'm confused. What did the lock nut look like?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Bob did you see the link that Dick gave us. Looks like that's the whole fitting.

I agree that it looks exactly like the fitting in the link. Even if it were half of a compression fitting I've never taken one apart and found that a standard locknut goes on the thread.

wiredoc

homemade

homemade

Looks like a homemade (sock-on) connector.These conns. were UL listed to fit on the end of the emt just like a snap in BX conn.They were dissaproved because of a grounding issue.Now that a seperate grounding conductor is required,I think they should be allowed.The fitting you show looks like part of a compression fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.