680.23(b)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

680.23(B)(2) states "conduit shall be installed from the forming shell to a junction box or other enclosure conforming to the requirements in 680.24. Now without typing the whole thing out says 680.24(A)(1)(1) says be equipped with threaded entries or hubs or a nonmetallic hub. Well I did two pool that the cord was long enough that I could take it all the way back where where the pool light transformer was located. So instead of placing a junction box and having to spice I just took the cord to the transformer box and use a plastic sealite fitting. The cord was in PVC from the wet-niche and I just transition from PVC to sealite. Well one inspector failed it stating 680.24 and the other inspector passed the other job. Which is it? Do we need a junction box or not.

gus

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If these lights are to the forming shell then what did you do with the bond wire. You need the jb to terminate the #8 bond.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me the key is in the wording "listed". In 680.24 the j box, if used must be listed for the purpose, and a transformer, if used, must be listed and labeled for the purpose. After that the Code lists the construction specifications of each.
I have seen few low voltage light installations but on the ones I have seem the transformer did not meet the construction specs to allow the j box to be eliminated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Okay so now I read the article :). I always thought a #8 was required but I see if metal pipe is used it is not. Furthermore if you have a transformer that meets the req. of 680.24 then a JB is not necessary even with non-metallic conduit.

And now that I read Gus' post I have to agree with him. :grin:

elohr46

680.23(B)(2) states "conduit shall be installed from the forming shell to a junction box or other enclosure conforming to the requirements in 680.24. Now without typing the whole thing out says 680.24(A)(1)(1) says be equipped with threaded entries or hubs or a nonmetallic hub. Well I did two pool that the cord was long enough that I could take it all the way back where where the pool light transformer was located. So instead of placing a junction box and having to spice I just took the cord to the transformer box and use a plastic sealite fitting. The cord was in PVC from the wet-niche and I just transition from PVC to sealite. Well one inspector failed it stating 680.24 and the other inspector passed the other job. Which is it? Do we need a junction box or not.

gus

I would say that your transformer enclosure has to fit the criteria of 680.24(B)(1) to pass inspection.

guschash

All pool equipment is listed. Bonding was all approved. If using low voltage pool light you don't need insulated #8 on inside of wet-niche. At my IAEI meeting I brought this same quetion up and there was some confusion on this same issue. I will being it up again at this month meeting because I am confused as do I or do I not need a J box. My interpretation on reading 680.24 is you do but two different inspectors interpreted differently.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Does the low voltae transformer meet the construction specification on 680.24(B)(1) ??

WinZip

In a pool junction box you have a clamp that clamps down on the light cord an #8 so that when relamping someone doesn't pull the cord down inside the conduit , I don't know if this is in his transformer but you should do something to clamp the cord in place.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In a pool junction box you have a clamp that clamps down on the light cord an #8 so that when relamping someone doesn't pull the cord down inside the conduit , I don't know if this is in his transformer but you should do something to clamp the cord in place.
As mentioned earlier in art. 680.23(B)(1) last sentence & 680.23(B)(2)(B) first sentence, does not require a #8 for listed low voltage systems.

wiredoc

Construction specs

Construction specs

680.24(A)(1)(1)clearly requires threaded entries or a nonmetallic hub.It doesn't sound like you have met these.Is there any strain relief?It sounds like one of your inspectors was in a hurry or preoccupied.EVERYONE makes mistakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.