service question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtom

I am inspecting a commercial service that originally did not have a permit.The existing service is 200 amp. 3 phrase that feeds a garage and off the garage panel,subfeeds a 100 amp 3 phase panel in another building that serves as a body/paint shop.The electrician has set another 200 amp 3 phase meter base next to the existing meter base and fed a 100 amp 3 phase disconnect inside next to the old 200 amp panel and wants to take the 100 amp feed out of the old panel and install in the new disconnect to feed paint shop.I feel two code violations have been done.You can not have two services in one building and you can not feed one building through another building.Any other thoughts?

iwire

Staff member
The number of meters has nothing to do with the number of services, it sounds like you will have one service with two meters.

As far as supplying one building from another of course you can, that is what part II of Article 225 covers.

If you are out inspecting and enforcing the code I do not think it would be too much to ask you to read Article 225 and 230.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From the info provided so far I see no problem.
If you feel the installation does not meet Code, you should, as a matter of practice, provide the installer with the Code sections that are in violation.
In this case, what Code sections do you see that have been violated ?

jtom

service

service

I may have not explained the situation correctly.The electrician is trying to get the power co. to run a new service lateral to the new meter base.There would be two services on the old building with the new service going in the existing building and then back out.2005 NEC articles 230.2 and230.3 would be the conflicts.225 part II would not apply unless one service lateral is in place and only seperate metering is the issue.

ceb58

I may have not explained the situation correctly.The electrician is trying to get the power co. to run a new service lateral to the new meter base.There would be two services on the old building with the new service going in the existing building and then back out.2005 NEC articles 230.2 and230.3 would be the conflicts.225 part II would not apply unless one service lateral is in place and only seperate metering is the issue.

I think you are on the right track. The only thing I see that could be redone to supply the other building is follow 230.6

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Exception #1 to 230.40 would appear to allow a separate service lateral to be run to a building with multiple occupancy, but, unless these are both under the same ownership 230.72 would not allow the service equipment for one shop to be inside the other.
If POCO is going to install a separate lateral, could they not install it to the 2nd occupancy ?

iwire

Staff member
Maybe I am wrong to assume but I imagined these buildings are rentals owned by one person.

I guess I assume that because who in their right mind would think they can put service equipment for one persons building on another persons building. :confused:

eprice

I may have not explained the situation correctly.The electrician is trying to get the power co. to run a new service lateral to the new meter base.There would be two services on the old building...
If the existing 200 amp panel and the new 100 amp panel in the first building are grouped in one location, then I think 230.40 exception 2 can be applied to the installation. That being said, depending on the size of the service laterals, the last sentence of 230.2 may allow the two laterals to be considered to be one service.
...with the new service going in the existing building and then back out.2005 NEC articles 230.2 and230.3 would be the conflicts.225 part II would not apply unless one service lateral is in place and only separate metering is the issue.
The conductors from the new 100 amp panel in the first building feeding the panel in the 2nd building are not service conductors, they are a feeder, so 230.3 would not apply to them. These conductors would be covered by 225.30. As iwire has mentioned this section can only be used if the two buildings are under one management.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.