Number of receptacles

Votes: 5 17.2%

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesium

Hi all, I have a test that has this question:

How many receptacles are connected to circuit 24 from panel RPB in the manufacturing facility

The plan shows four duplex symbols on that circuit. So it multiple choice test and two of the (four) options are 4 and 8. So would you answer 4 the number of devices or 8 the number of available spots for a plug?

Thanks,
Nathan.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . we haven't gotten into Code much yet.

They do seem to like tricky questions.
Great insight, Nathan.

While it seems tricky, the answer is driven by the Code, and not so much by the "common mechanical sense" of something one holds in the hand.

Definitions. Article 100. The Article that just keeps on giving, and giving.

As simple as it seems, the Article 100 definition of Outlet has fueled the longest thread (750 some posts) this Forum has ever seen.

(Receptacles are one sub group of assemblies that might be at an Outlet.)

KWH

Concerning Load Calc's

Concerning Load Calc's

How would you figure this example if using 180va for your load calc's

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Along with the definition provided by Chris, 220.14(I) enforces the definition.

220.14(I) Receptacle Outlets. Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke. A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2).

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I did not vote on the basis of what I thought the correct answer should be. Rather, I voted on the basis of what I thought the author of the test question thought the correct answer should be. The intent is to pass the test, not to be "in the right."

I believe the author of the question was trying to be "clever." The question is badly worded, and both answers can be justified. But I am certain that the question would not have been written at all, unless its author believed that the correct answer is eight.

That said, if someone needs to plug in a piece of equipment and asks me where the best place might be, I would say to use "that receptacle" (i.e., singular) over there. There is a great deal of difference between the technical language of our profession and what I like to call "conversational English." This question provides a very good example of that difference.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I believe the author of the question was trying to be "clever." The question is badly worded, and both answers can be justified.

Charlie, I disagree, if the test is on the NEC there is only one right answer and that is 8. The reason many test takers answer wrong and fail tests are that they read too much into it and assume the author is out to trick them.

If my answer was marked as incorrect I would challenge the instructor until it was changed.

Roger

Last edited:

Caesium

I did not vote on the basis of what I thought the correct answer should be. Rather, I voted on the basis of what I thought the author of the test question thought the correct answer should be. The intent is to pass the test, not to be "in the right."

I believe the author of the question was trying to be "clever." The question is badly worded, and both answers can be justified. But I am certain that the question would not have been written at all, unless its author believed that the correct answer is eight.

That said, if someone needs to plug in a piece of equipment and asks me where the best place might be, I would say to use "that receptacle" (i.e., singular) over there. There is a great deal of difference between the technical language of our profession and what I like to call "conversational English." This question provides a very good example of that difference.

Indeed it dose. And the answer changes depending on which language you use.

I do have an email in to them asking about it. Will share what I get back.
Also we have not got into any real code yet... I just enjoy studying the NEC :)

Caesium

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Charlie, I disagree, if the test is on the NEC there is only one right answer and that is 8. The reason many test takers answer wrong and fail tests are that they read too much into it and assume the author is out to trick them.

If my answer was marked as incorrect I would challenge the instructor until it was changed.

Roger

It's not on the NEC though. It's on Electrical Blueprint Reading.

Caesium

The Answer was 4 the number of symbols. Which is what I chose because I asked them if I count the number of receptacles (symbols x2) or the number of symbols. They said symbols.

I whole heartedly agree that's there really 8 receptacles though. ;)

Thanks for all your help guys,

Nathan

dicklaxt

I say 4 because when you calc load based on 180va whether it is a single or a duplex,,,,,,,,,,,,so if it were 8 then the load would not agree with the rule as counted against the number of symbols.

dick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.