When did NEC institute NEC 2008 408.58 requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldeng20

I've been working with some panels that are 30-40 years old (they are being replaced by the way), and have the following question:

When did the NEC require panelboard marking as stated in the NEC 2008, Section 408.58, specifically "the voltage and the current rating and the number of phases for which they are designed and with the manufacturer's name ... in such a manner to be visible after installation ...".

I ask since all these 30-40 year old panels comply with this, so I'm wondering if someone can tell me when it was originally put in the code to require these specific elements.

Last edited:

cadpoint

I've been working with some panels that are 30-40 years old (they are being replaced by the way), and have the following question:

When did the NEC require panelboard marking as stated in the NEC 2008, Section 408.58, specifically "the voltage and the current rating and the number of phases for which they are designed and with the manufacturer's name ... in such a manner to be visible after installation ...".

I ask since all these 30-40 year old panels comply with this, so I'm wondering if someone can tell me when it was originally put in the code to require these specific elements.

Since your replacing the panels you need to address the current code requirements!

But the way, as the Code works your in a Grey Article; so items in grey are new to the 2008 edition NFPA 70, a new way to presnt the information per their own design style. I beleive that's stated in the 90's

Don't be confused with the manufacture requirements of stating the properties of their own requirements, which is a another Code requirement.

It's frankly as simple as labeling the outside cover per the requirements of the Article.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
UL has required these labels for decades, the NEC has simply caught up for 'non-listed' equipment.

... in such a manner to be visible after installation ...".

If a flush or surface mount panel has the mfg's label inside (on the deadfront of the guts), behind the panel cover, isn't that compliant? I don't see why an additional engraver or labelmaker type label is required on the exterior of the cover. The label is visible by opening the cover, and if the cover is locked that is not an issue IMHO.

goldeng20

So if I understand the posts up to now (1) 408.58 is new in 2008 and (2) UL has required this for decades. The UL requirement for decades answers my original question, meaning this explains why panels 30-40 years old meet the NEC 2008 408.58 requirement, since they are UL listed and apparently UL required this at the time they were constructed.

Would that seem to be a fair assumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.