In counter receptacle tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Yeah I had to use one on an island there was no place for a island plug because of the over hang so I had to install one of those. Kinda cool I guess I wasn't so much a fan though and neither was the homeowner :grin:

hurk27

Anyone here ever use one of these? Or anything similar they could recommend?

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/pcs34-90.html

Got a 7' x 8' slab with no cabinet space to put receptacles.

I didn't see any UL listing and from their site:

Designed as a relocatable power tap for retrofit only. Does not currently meet NEC Article 406.11. For kitchen use requires GFI.

You might have to have the counter guys put a tomb stone in?

7' x 8' slab? what is this, kind of big for a kitchen?

hurk27

I was looking at two existing ones last week. There is a 15 amp cord coming out of the unit. All other issues aside, that there is the issue.

the thing is, this is a portable power tap, UL does not list a portable power tap for permanent installation, they are only listed for temporary use, and this seems to me it is being portrayed as for use in place of permanent wiring methods, which is a violation.

if you think about it, are you going to cut a hole in your counter top if you plan on relocating it?

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I didn't see any UL listing and from their site:

You might have to have the counter guys put a tomb stone in?

7' x 8' slab? what is this, kind of big for a kitchen?

$100,000 for the cabinets (only) in kitchen, master bath, and laundry. And, yeah, the island is 7 feet by 8 feet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The UL mark is on the first page of the link. These have been around for awhile but I would be careful as it is nothing more than a plug strip. I don't see how this would satisfy codes in kitchen with a recep. below the counter. It comes with a 9' cord.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
Well, they do get a sink in it. They could drain the "fluids" iinto that.

What exactly are we talking about here? First you say you need an outlet in a "slab with no cabinet space." Then you say there is going to be a sink in the slab which implies that there will be water and drain lines associated with the slab. I'm having a hard time visualizing what it is that you are trying to do. As for the Mockett pop-up power strip, it is probably the best solution I've ever seen for a kitchen receptacle on an island or peninsula, despite the fact that it doesn't meet current NEC requirements by itself. How do you plan to bring power to the slab and conceal the 9' cord on this power strip? If this is a residential island divided by a sink you will probably need two code compliant receptacles in addition to the Mockett.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was faced with a similar issue, and came up with a solution everyone liked: it's not an island, it's a stationary table.

220/221

I'm having a hard time visualizing what it is that you are trying to do

I'm guessing his island probably has a 12" overhang on three sides (used as an eating/sitting area) while the 4th side has drawers all along it. The receps can't go under the overhanging top and there is on;ly drawers on the remaining side.

Tell them to pull out the drawers on the far right and left side and screw a drawer front in place. You can cut your receps in there.

If someone comes in after the final, removes the fronts, makes the wiring safe and slides the drawers back in place, who am I to judge them. ;)

hurk27

210.52(C)(5)Exception: To comply with the conditions specified in (a) or (b), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base.

guess that would be a start:roll:

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The island is 7 x 8 with no overhang on the countertop. There is a knee space on one end, which has cabinet doors. Besides where the dishwasher is there are only drawer fronts and doors except for one 30" panel.

These cabinets have been changed and changed up until they were installed. No one was concerned about receptacles until after everything was installed, of course.

In this house we wired the master bath (completely) three times because of changes. :mad:

I guess I could put two receptacles on the only blank panel and call it good. :grin:

hurk27

Wire mold makes a product we have used called plug mold, it mounts to the front of the cabnets just above the doors, put one on each end from a GFCI protected circuit and your good to go.

Thats if you have room for plug mold?

and someone posted a small single round receptacle that is self contained (not needing a box) that might fit in a small space, maybe they will post it in here, I can't find the link.

hurk27

I reported it to UL so lets see what they have to say.

ok heres a so called follow up e-mail they sent me, they really didnt say much:

Hello Wayne,

This is to follow-up with you on an investigation, which had been opened to look into a report you had made of the subject product.

Please be informed that the investigation has been pursued to completion. However, due to the needs of UL to protect the proprietary nature of the companies it represents, the information released to you may be limited in nature.

Please rest assured that during the course of this investigation, all aspects of the investigation had been conducted thoroughly, and all issues raised in your report were considered or resolved. The subject product was verified to be Listed and should bear the appropriate UL mark. The PCS34 Model is not the UL regulated model but rather the distribution company's model number. The distribution company's web page has been modified to incorporate the Listing information of the product in question.

I want to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I would encourage you to bring to our attention any other situations you may come across in the future, which involve products bearing references to Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Reports from sources outside of Underwriters Laboratories Inc is a valuable resource utilized to promote public safety and maintain the integrity of our Marks.

I tried:roll:

hurk27

I went to the web site and the only thing they changed is they added the UL listing number to the image, which is not the listing to the PCS34 Model, it is for the PD03050, what a farse.

The PCS34 is not listed as was said in the e-mail, and like someone would know that looking at this web page:roll:

No wonder the public is getting stuff like this.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.