210.50(C) and the Definition of Appliance - AV Rack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltime

210.50 (C) Appliance Receptacle Outlets
"Receptacle outlets installed for a specific appliance, such as a clothes washer, dryer, range, garage door opener or refrigerator, must be with 6 ft of the intended location of the appliance."

Appliance is defined as:
"Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth."

So let's say I have an audiovisual equipment rack full of stuff. While I don't think of this as an "appliance" like a washing machine, would the code consider this differently? It certainly is to be installed and connected as a unit. Must there be a receptacle located within 6 ft of the intended rack location?

pfalcon

... So let's say I have an audiovisual equipment rack full of stuff. ... Must there be a receptacle located within 6 ft of the intended rack location?

Appliance receptacle outlets installed in a dwelling unit for specific appliances, ...

If the architect sets a niche aside specifically for an AV rack and calls for a receptacle to feed the AV rack then the receptacle must be within 6 ft of the niche.

If you hire an electrician to install a receptacle for your AV rack then he must install it within 6 ft of the location you chose for the AV rack.

210.50 (C) does not require the installation of a receptacle.

smalltime

This is a commercial application. Residential requirements for receptacle locations are pretty well spelled out. 210.50 comes before the whole residential section of 210.52 so 210.50, the General section, spplies to everything - commercial and residential.

But I think you've answered my question - if an AV rack, or for that matter, a celiing mounted projector, is placed on the drawing set by an architect or a AV consultant, it needs to have a receptacle located within 6 ft. so that it's within the "no extension cord zone".

"Appliance" appears to be a broader term than what first came to my mind. (Don't you buy "appliances" at Sears, Best Buy and Montgomery Wards?)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I think you hit the nail on the head with the "no extension cords".

Uses not permitted 400.8(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure.

Just had a resturant put in a new bar, at final inspection I find cords drapped all over the place and I made them remove them and add more receptacles. Poor planning on your part......

smalltime

Okay. I thought I had this. My original post was quoted verbatim from Mike's book. Now I look in my 2005 and 2008 Handbooks and it's different:

210.50 (C) Appliance Receptacle Outlets
"Appliance receptacle outlets installed in a dwelling unit for a specific appliance, such as laundry equipment, shall be installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the intended location of the appliance."

Appliance is defined as:
"Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth."

It's the add of "installed in a dwelling unit" that's in the Code but not in Mike's book.

So although I would believe that a recept needs to be within 6 ft of a rack or projector, or similar equipment (appliance), I can't say, "It's code".

Arrgh.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Okay, let's say that, for commerical apps, there's no such rule.

Why wouldn't one want a receptacle(s) within such proximity?

Have you seen a pic of my home-theater equipment power?

smalltime

That's just it. I'm in pursuit of a rule. A rule leaves no argument as to what should be included and where it should be located.

I was also surprised at the wording differences between my 2008 Holt book and my 2005 and 2008 Handbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.