keys to the building

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneee

the down economy has forced layoffs and fewer staff hours for our office people....it is no longer staffed full time...it seems that i spend a lot of time here by myself waiting for deliveries when i should be elsewhere...the supply house suggested i could give them a key...they said this is not uncommon...i have known them for many years...good idea? bad idea?

satcom

the down economy has forced layoffs and fewer staff hours for our office people....it is no longer staffed full time...it seems that i spend a lot of time here by myself waiting for deliveries when i should be elsewhere...the supply house suggested i could give them a key...they said this is not uncommon...i have known them for many years...good idea? bad idea?

Do they have Key insurance?

krisinjersey

Off Hours

Off Hours

We picked up one of those rubbermaid garbage can enclosures. It's got a combolock on it and the supply houses know the combo or they call the number stenciled on the lid and we give it to them. We don't take any high dollar value deliveries that way, but it's been working for us. My wife doesn't even have a key to the shop, let alone the supply house:grin:

masterinbama

Ask them for a key to their store. After all they have known you for years.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Are their drivers bonded? Is there a way you can restrict their access to your shop to a small area? It's not an unheard of thing to do, but I am always suspicious of giving out a key.

If you don't have video surveillance put up a fake camera and a sign warning of video surveillance.

I like the idea of some kind of locked box they can have a key to that does not give them access to the building if you cannot restrict access once they get inside. The only thing is that this arrangement restricts how much can be delivered and what size it can be.

I have seen a few shipping areas where there is a fenced off area where delivery drivers can get but no farther. An 8' high chain link fence is relatively cheap and easy to install. :)

Not exactly relevent, but many commercial bakeries have keys to their customer's shops so they can deliver the fresh pasteries at 4am. The driver leaves the boxes of goodies and picks up the empties from yesterday. Given their routes, I doubt the drivers have time, much less the inclination, to poke around.

wireguru

if you want to get a little more fancy, you could install an access control system. Give the supply house an access card, leave it disabled and enable it for one time use when they need to make a delivery.

and put in surveillance cameras.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Many times I've had keys and security codes. On big jobs where we were working 7-7 we would open and close up most of the time.

When I worked as a faucilities electrician, I had a card key that gave me 24 hour full access, same access as security had. Used to tick off the VP's that I could get places they couldn't.

cruzJD

I don?t know about all the states but in VA the law say if you have the right to hold the key you have the right to copy the key.

Some places will copy any key for you; it dose not matter if it says do not duplicate or anything else on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.