LFNC-B Glued straight to an "FS" box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalilo

Sorry this is , believe it or not, an arguement that I over heard in the aisles. One guy came in and asked if you could glue non-metallic felx to an "fse" box, and one guy next to him said yes because it's "ridgid" non-metallic,

another "electrician" told him no, arguement pursued, and then the question "show me in the NEC that you can't"... and no answer. So then there's the question here:

1)Can you glue LFNC-B Glued straight to an "FS" box?

2)If not, which article says other wise?

cpal

300.16 Raceway or Cable to Open or Concealed Wiring.
(A) Box, Conduit Body, or Fitting. A box, conduit body, or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used wherever a change is made from conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed knob-and-tube wiring. A fitting used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices and shall not be used at luminaire outlets. A conduit body used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices, unless it complies with 314.16(C)(2).5

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
(A) Box, Conduit Body, or Fitting. A box, conduit body, or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used wherever a change is made from conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed knob-and-tube wiring. A fitting used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices and shall not be used at luminaire outlets. A conduit body used for this purpose shall contain no taps or splices, unless it complies with 314.16(C)(2).5

Is the OP doing what is in red? If not, I am not sure any of this applies.

cpal

Is the OP doing what is in red? If not, I am not sure any of this applies.

I indicated three sections that argue a fitting is required rather than glue the raceway to the enclosure. I would additionally cite 110.3B. I do not think it was ever the intent of that wiring method to allow it to be terminated without listed fittings that are designed and indicated for the raceway.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

I really don't think 300.16 applies.

If a LFNC manufacturers allows their flex to be glued without a connector then that's all there is to it. It'd be legal. That said, I heard it used to be allowed(or common practice) but it isn't anymore. But I've never looked it up to see, I just use connectors....:)

raider1

Staff member
Take a look at 356.6. This section requires that all associated fittings used with LFNC be listed. The connector in the FS box would have to be listed for use with LFNC.

Also see 356.42 this reinforces the need for listed fitting for use with LFNC.

Chris

volt101

I read the title, then I read the overheard conversation, Is this liquid-tight?

If LFNC - no

If ENT - from the UL White Book

Fittings ? The outside diameters of ENT are such that standard connectors,
couplings and outlet boxes for rigid PVC conduit can be employed for
ENT that is also constructed of PVC.

lunalilo

I've had this debate alot and even worked a side job with a licensed electrician who implemented it in action - that is - glue LFNC straight into an fse box. So I'm guessing that it means no right?

I thought that LFNC was PVC, but I guess not. No one ever talks about, it's only this one question that I never knew the answer to.

kwired

Electron manager
I've had this debate alot and even worked a side job with a licensed electrician who implemented it in action - that is - glue LFNC straight into an fse box. So I'm guessing that it means no right?

I thought that LFNC was PVC, but I guess not. No one ever talks about, it's only this one question that I never knew the answer to.

It may have similar material for its composition but it is definately not rigid PVC which is what all the glue together raceways and fittings are.

Split Bolt

Not sure if the flexible non-metallic liquidtight is listed for that, but I have to confess that I did that once in an act of desperation where I was short one fitting. I did strap it about 4" from the box though, just in case! Not proud of it, but it seemed to hold perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.