Dedicated equipment space

Status
Not open for further replies.
1000 amp 3R switch board, located under roof covered winery crush pad. This installation has 10,500 cfm evaporative cooler mounted less than 2ft directly above. 110.26 (F) " All switch boards,panel boards,distribution boards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage" Question is, does the 6ft dedicated space as described in 110.26 (F) (1) apply to this situation and does the 6ft dedicated space apply to outdoor services as well?
Thanks R Millar

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a graphic from the NECH of the dedicated space requirement:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Sorry, let me try again the, the 3R equip is under roof but the structure open on 2 sides. Which I believe would still be considered outdoors. I understand the indoor dedicated space as required by 110.26 (F) (1) but my question is, does 110.26 (F) in part "all switch boards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers shall be mounted in dedicated spaces" apply to outdoor locations as well, if so is the dedicated space for outdoor equip the same as defined for indoor installations. 110.26 (F) (1)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As I read it, the requirement to keep the space above panels clear does not apply to outdoor spaces. It is contained entirely within 110.26(F)(1), and that has a title of "indoor." The next paragraph, titled "outdoor," does not have a similar requirement. I think that what you are describing is a bad design, since it does not allow you to easily add circuits and run conduits from the top of the board. But it is not an NEC violation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What it says is that "all switchboards" (and some other stuff) must have dedicated space. Then it goes on to tell us about indoor dedicated space and about outdoor dedicated space.

Status
Not open for further replies.