Remote existing old building, grounding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaho

Have an existing very old building, the feeder cable is still good but dose not have grounding conductors, can I install an electrode locally and without bonding it to feeder neutral conductor? Is that against any NEC code? and on the supply side of the feeder has GFPS. Too dificult and costly to run a seperate equipment grounding conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since this was done under an earlier code cycle than the 08 it may be as simple as adding a GES and bonding the neutral. Read article 250.32(B)(2) in the 05 for example.

Roger

yaho

Since this was done under an earlier code cycle than the 08 it may be as simple as adding a GES and bonding the neutral. Read article 250.32(B)(2) in the 05 for example.

Roger

Bonding the neural locally will trip GFPS of the feeder supply side.

iwire

Staff member
The GFP throws a wrench in the works for sure, you may need to change the neutral to an EGC and install a transformer at the separate building to create a neutral.

yaho

The GFP throws a wrench in the works for sure, you may need to change the neutral to an EGC and install a transformer at the separate building to create a neutral.

Thanks. But you did not answer my question, I want to know if it is against
the code without bonding the EGS to neutral to create a grounding conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

If you don't have an EGC the neutral must be bonded or you have a violation.

Read 250.32(B)(1)&(2) in an earlier NEC

Roger

iwire

Staff member

Roger gave you the code sections, but from a practical standpoint if you do not bond the neutral in the remote building what would be the effective ground fault path?

Status
Not open for further replies.