Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a good reliable site for finding old breakers? The reason is I checked out this panel today, three phase going to main panel breaker but only two phases coming out. It is a Square D breaker , so I called Square D and they told me it was discontinued in 1972. Is fixing the breaker a possibility ? Has anyone ever done this?

zog

Does anyone have a good reliable site for finding old breakers? The reason is I checked out this panel today, three phase going to main panel breaker but only two phases coming out. It is a Square D breaker , so I called Square D and they told me it was discontinued in 1972. Is fixing the breaker a possibility ? Has anyone ever done this?

Most MCCB's can be repaired, but there becomes a point that replacement is more economical than repairing it. What is the nameplate info?

zog

The breaker is a 200amp 3pole 240 volt and the breaker sticker is unreadable.

If you don't know the breaker type how can Sq-D tell you it is discontinued? I will be able to ID it with a good photo and will likely have a replacement. But, this is borderline small enough to be considered disposable and not worth the time to repair or recondition.

I found a sticker on the inside of the panel and gave him the cat. number and he told me the breaker was never sold seperately but with the interior as a replacement kit.I asked if the breaker had a part number and he said no only the kit did. The kit part number is 4050535350. I really had a hard time believing that but how could I question him when he works for Square D.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Are the buss bars round like pipe? If so its a QOD, and good luck with trying to find them.
The last time Square D made a circuit breaker panel with round bus bars was in the late 50' to early 60's. This panel used the XO breaker before it was sold to Cutler Hammer. The most common round bus panel they sold was their QMB, fusible, line.

480sparky

By the description, it sounds like a SquareD XO breaker.

Squaredxo.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I found a sticker on the inside of the panel and gave him the cat. number and he told me the breaker was never sold seperately but with the interior as a replacement kit.I asked if the breaker had a part number and he said no only the kit did. The kit part number is 4050535350. I really had a hard time believing that but how could I question him when he works for Square D.
What part number did you give him?

I cannot remember a breaker only being sold as part of an interior. Although, I believe it may have been possible. But almost all 200A 240V load center main breakers were a Q2 style from the 60's thru the 80's

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... I really had a hard time believing that but how could I question him when he works for Square D.
You can question him and push him for a real answer because like most manufacturers, anyone old enough to know anything within Sq. D has been let go and the college kids they hired to replace them are ignorant (not stupid, just no experience). They are instructed NOT to get involved in anything that doesn't involve selling new stuff. What he really wants is for you to get frustrated and junk the entire thing so he can sell you a new one. but if you push hard enough, he should be able to get you an answer.

Cicuit Breaker Update

Cicuit Breaker Update

First thank you to all for responding. Late last night I came across a site ,Southland Electrical Supply, while I was searching I saw a breaker that looked like the one I needed so I wrote the number down and called the place this morning and explained the whole thing to this guy and gave him the same info that I gave Square D and he confirmed that was the right breaker. It is a Q2M 3200. I belive Jim you were right.

ote

old breakers

old breakers

There is a place called Southern Electrical Resources located in Georgia that I have found quite a few old obsolete breakers before. They will ship overnight also and have resources to find breakers that even they don't have. Pretty good people to deal with. www.southernelectricalresources.com or toll free 1-877-512-6600

zog

Southland and SER are both good, PEARL certified MCCB companies. All breakers are really smart computer marketing guys with a nice website.

kbsparky

First thank you to all for responding. Late last night I came across a site ,Southland Electrical Supply, while I was searching I saw a breaker that looked like the one I needed so I wrote the number down and called the place this morning and explained the whole thing to this guy and gave him the same info that I gave Square D and he confirmed that was the right breaker. It is a Q2M 3200. I belive Jim you were right.

The direct replacement for that breaker is a QBP32200TP. Check with your local Square D distributor for stock and availability. I think you can field modify the lugs/studs with those breakers nowadays for different configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.