'11 nec on cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
NFPA has no plans to put the 11 NEC on a CD. They are promoting the one line version.
Why? IMO
Too many problems and staff time with the licensing for the CD version.
More money from the on line version.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The only real way to get the NFPAs attention would be to get the AHJs not to adopt the 2011 code until they provide a CD of the code. I know this won't happen so they will win.

I do expect that there will be a lot more bootleg copies out there because the NFPA is not providing a reasonable legal way for users to put copies on their computers.

hurk27

I have the 1999, and the 2002 one my computers, and I was waiting for the PDF to come out, for the 2005, but they didn't put that on the CD and the bottom dropped out before I could buy the 2005, and well its still not been that good to invest in the 2008 yet, but now no 2011:mad: we all need to flood NFPAs web site with our resentment of this.
Also I noticed that I couldn't access the 2008 online last nite:confused:

Just checked it say title unavailable

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Reply I got from NFPA. Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought:

I apologize for this inconvenience. You will not need internet access once you download the PDF to your computer. You will be able to access it from anywhere because it remains stored on your lap top and will have the same functionality as the CD did in the past. You can search, copy, paste and print from the PDF.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I apologize for this inconvenience. You will not need internet access once you download the PDF to your computer. You will be able to access it from anywhere because it remains stored on your lap top and will have the same functionality as the CD did in the past. You can search, copy, paste and print from the PDF.

This is very good news

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

This is very good news

Sounds good. Let's hope that it works like they say it will. :)

Split Bolt

When I start referencing my '11 NEC, (which should start getting used here by '14) I will need no internet connection, no space on my laptop, no batteries or Adobe Acrobat...Just enough light for me to read the book!:grin:

I can't be the only one out here who still likes actual paper and ink, can I? My copies of the NEC have always had notes written inside both covers, highlighted text everywhere and bent-over pages. Wouldn't trade that for anything!

This reminds me of the comic strip I once saw with 2 guys sitting at a bar, one with his laptop. When guy #1 says "I'm reading today's paper," guy #2 responds "Oh yeah? Pass me the sports section, I need to go to the bathroom!"

:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This reminds me of the comic strip I once saw with 2 guys sitting at a bar, one with his laptop. When guy #1 says "I'm reading today's paper," guy #2 responds "Oh yeah? Pass me the sports section, I need to go to the bathroom!"

:D
And, that reminds me of a guy on a subway, sitting on a newspaper, and another passenger asks if he could look at the paper.

The first guy stands up, turns the page, sits back down on the newspaper, and says "Sure. I'll be done in a few minutes."

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

But, I belive that PDF will be locked to one computer. I have a couple of NFPA PDF standards and I think they are set up for one computer and there is software that is installed first before the PDF.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
But, I belive that PDF will be locked to one computer. I have a couple of NFPA PDF standards and I think they are set up for one computer and there is software that is installed first before the PDF.
That is how most NFPA documents come 'today'.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

This is very good news

Sounds good. Let's hope that it works like they say it will. :)
I know it didn't the last time I tried to buy the NEC PDF off NFPA's website. I was on dialup at the time, and I can't tell ya how much fun it was redownloading the NEC every time a computer forgot how to make their whizbang security measures work, either on my end or theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.