Service wires in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I lost a job with one of my usual GC's because the homeowner found a unlicensed "electrician" that came in way under my estimate. This GC likes to put underground service wire in conduit, and this other electrician told him underground service wires cannot go in conduit, that the code only allows underground wires to be in conduit once they hit the house. Is there something like this that I have been totally missing as I have been putting underground wires in conduit?

iwire

Staff member
If it is truly USE it can be direct buried or run in an underground conduit.

It cannot enter a building either bare or in pipe.

338.12 (B) Underground Service-Entrance Cable. Underground
service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the
following conditions or in the following locations:

(1) For interior wiring

(2) For aboveground installations except where USE cable
emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure
at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in
accordance with 300.5(D)

(3) As aerial cable unless it is a multiconductor cable identified
for use aboveground and installed as messengersupported
wiring in accordance with 225.10 and Part II
of Article 396

It is just regular old USE. This other gentleman said it cannot be in conduit because if something went wrong with the wire, heat would build up in the conduit and melt it. He also said it it was a code rule.

iwire

Staff member
It is just regular old USE. This other gentleman said it cannot be in conduit because if something went wrong with the wire, heat would build up in the conduit and melt it. He also said it it was a code rule.

Well there is no rule like that in the NEC, so he is mistaken or messing with you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is one problem I run into being a young(ish) women in this trade. People will believe an older man before me because they assume he knows more than me.
It is not only women that have that problem, but I am certain it happens more to women. As your reputation grows people will lern that some of the old guys have many, many misconceptions. Good luck---

Rewire

You'r in a no win situation as it is obvious cost has outweighed quality.I see this alot now days as unemployed electricians are trying to make an extra buck.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I thought Wisconsin had statewide licensing, is this not the case.

Roger

Buck Parrish

The unlicensed guy probably installed USE in conduit at an interior location and got turned down on a job because of it.
So that would have made him think it was not allowed in conduit at all.

Most electricians I know just direct bury it. Except for if it is rocky conditions . And under driveways. Then they sleeve it.

I thought Wisconsin had statewide licensing, is this not the case.

Roger

Wisconsin does not yet have statewide licensing. They passed a bill in 2008 to require licenses by 2013 (April of 2013, if I remember correctly). They are giving everybody unlicensed 5 years to get licensed. In most of Wisconsin there are local laws that require licensing, but this is not the case up here in the northwoods.

The unlicensed guy probably installed USE in conduit at an interior location and got turned down on a job because of it.
So that would have made him think it was not allowed in conduit at all.

Most electricians I know just direct bury it. Except for if it is rocky conditions . And under driveways. Then they sleeve it.

This is probably what happened to make him think it couldn't be in conduit.
I usually direct bury as well, except in certain circumstances, and when this guy said it was a code violation, I assured the GC it was okay, but had a little bit of doubt that I wanted to do away with.

kwired

Electron manager

Have pulled conductors out several times that were burned all the way through and pulled new conductor back in same conduit. With no raceway this means dig a hole in customers yard if it goes bad. If you live around here you better put it in a raceway, direct buried conductors usually are victims of burrowing rodents at some point. Especially on farms where there is plenty of food available to attract rodents.

kwired

Electron manager
I hope you don't mean in the same one conduit every time. :D

Actually I can't recall ever pulling out a conductor that I installed that failed unless something physical happened that caused the damage. Such as excavation damage by others.

Taking care to not damage insulation before and during installation helps a lot as well as inspecting conductor while still on reel for signs of abuse while it was at the supplier or whoever.

I have seen conducor with damaged insulation many times still on the reel - even minor nicks are a weak point when subject to transient voltages from lightning. I will put Scotchkote on these nicks if I find them, if nick is all the way through to the conductor it goes back to supply house.

Status
Not open for further replies.