How Connect NM to Panel? - Old Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

David40

I would appreciate some input on methods to terminate Romex in a panel where the box is flush in the wall, the wire is fished into the wall, and through a knockout hole. Is there a special connector available or any other acceptable method other than tearing out the wall to get a standard connector and locknut on it? Guess the same would apply with MC.
Thanks for any tips.

Occupation
Inspector
I would appreciate some input on methods to terminate Romex in a panel where the box is flush in the wall, the wire is fished into the wall, and through a knockout hole. Is there a special connector available or any other acceptable method other than tearing out the wall to get a standard connector and locknut on it? Guess the same would apply with MC.
Thanks for any tips.

One option is to put the connector on before you fish the cable, then add the locknut or you could use a plastic connector designed for this very application, I can't find a picture right now.

David40

Thank You. That's a really great idea assuming there is enough room to pull it through without snagging on anything. I'm definitely going to give that a try.
I'd be interested in getting my hands on that connector you say is specifically made for that. If you think of the name or find the picture please post. :)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There are plastic connectors that snap in and grip the cable. These should work. I have used them many times to pull a wire in through the knockout. with a 2-screw romex connectors you have to have them on the cable first. That is difficult if you are fishing up a wall through a small hole.

David40

Actually I have used those before in new work but I've not had much luck getting them through the knockout once the wire is in them. It's the wire that spreads them out so they stay in. Now that you mention it, I suppose I could try to force one in with the wire in it and see what happens. Thanks.

kbsparky

Get some of Raco's newfangled insider connectors.

Fish your wire thru the wall, then into the box. You can slide this connector on and it snaps into place -- all from the inside.

16_large.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
RACO has some that they include with their shallow ceiling fan boxes that insert from the inside of the box. The only part in the box when installed is the shoulder of the fitting so it does not take up hardly any volume in the box. They would probably work great. I think you could fish your cable in first with these and then slip the connector in the KO with the cable in it.

Most likely are sold separately from the fan boxes.

I'M too slow, the one kbsparky just posted a picture of is what I am talking about.

Last edited:

c2500

I've only seen the pictured type at Lowes. Depot sells the Arlington ones that have a slice out of them...and they pop out reeally easy. I have some cool yellow ones from the supply house..but don't have a photo.

c2500

glene77is

David,
In the 60's we used a "butterfly" connector, which is a two piece clamshell, metal, held together by two machine screws. It always reminded us of a butterfly, with two sets of wings.

These can be installed after the pull, from the inside of the panel-box, one on each side of the cable, and the screws put in to force the clamping.

When I check the van, I'll post back the brand and model.
Well, no markings to speak of. Quick Scan. Good Luck.
There are several retrofit connectors around.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Get some of Raco's newfangled insider connectors.

Welcome to 5 years ago. ;)

May have been around longer, but I was using them quite some time ago.

glene77is said:
In the 60's we used a "butterfly" connector, which is a two piece clamshell, metal, held together by two machine screws. It always reminded us of a butterfly, with two sets of wings.

those are still in-use today. I believe every range cord comes with one.

Split Bolt

I was going to suggest the "Insider" as well. Going back to the OP though, you'll need to fish with the connector already in place or do some damage in the case of MC, as far as I know.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I've started using those inside connectors. What I used to use was a plastic duplex connector from the inside. Fish the wire through the wall and knockout. Attach connector to cable, then push back through KO.

Or even a metal romex connector if you're coming in through the top of the panel, you can sneak the locknut along the top of the panel before you push the wire through it, then attach the connector to the cable by tightening the two screws, then insert into KO, and screw on the locknut.

Status
Not open for further replies.