lighting contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with a C-H 30 amp electrically held 12 pole lighting contactor that won't close, the coil is 120 v and I know the coil is good,there are no mechanical issues that i can see with the contactor itself, could it be possible that the control module is at fault here? the thing acts as if it is going to close but it won't stay closed. help anyone?

nakulak

did you operate it manually ? my recollection is that some of those have reversible contacts and some don't, and if you reverse the non-reversible ones they won't close properly (reversible as in NO to NC).
1) manually operate
2) check control voltage while operating (make sure your control voltage isn't dropping out for unknown reason)

I have a hand off auto station and when I turn to "hand" I get the 120v from A1 to the control module neutral and I get 120v between the control module "hot" and neutral, I do not have 120 between A1 and A2. When I place 120v direct to the coil with the control module disconnected the contactor closes and stays closed. what do you think?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Are you sure its electrically held? if it has a control module, it is probably mechanically held. If it's the model I think it is, the control module gives a pulse to the coil to close, then another pulse to open. These are junk, and have a lot of issues with the latch mechanism and control modules. GE has the same model, they just change name plates. Just last week one of my tech's had a problem with a brand new one, called the factory, and they had him disassemble it. The latch mechanism had been left out.

dicklaxt

I looked up a 30 amp 12 pole by C-H, the switchleg hot,either manual or control switch, goes to A2,the neutral goes to A1.

dick

dicklaxt

Found another one that has the manual hot going to term 13 on the contactor and the auto hot going to A1,,,,,,,,,,I guess the included wiring diagram with your unit will be you guide,I don't find a complete vendor schematic on the CN35,the one I referenced above showed up as a CN30 and not a CN35

dick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.