temporary triplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

I was in a local convenience store today that is under construction. I noticed they have a triplex wire used to feed temporary power to another panel. The triplex is straped to the wall about 4ft high. Wouldnt this be a safety issue with the neutral being a bare wire as someone could easily touch it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are you sure the bare is being used as a neutral. With it feeding a sub-panel there should be a EGC. Is it possible it is a 120v run with the bare as a EGC ?

fireryan

Are you sure the bare is being used as a neutral. With it feeding a sub-panel there should be a EGC. Is it possible it is a 120v run with the bare as a EGC ?

It looks as if the triplex is coming from the new service panel which is just feeding a old panel for the time being, so im guessing the egc is already present.

kwired

Electron manager
It looks as if the triplex is coming from the new service panel which is just feeding a old panel for the time being, so im guessing the egc is already present.

The old panel is no longer a service panel and would still require separate grounded and grounding conductors.

temporary or not i dont think it can be used inside...

Read article 396. It may be able to be used inside but not in the way the OP describes. One of his biggest problems is this:

(A) Support. The messenger shall be supported at dead ends and at intermediate locations so as to eliminate tension on the conductors. The conductors shall not be permitted to come into contact with the messenger supports or any structural members, walls, or pipes.

mxslick

A quick call to the AHJ or Building and Safety dept will take care of this fast.. and do it before someone gets hurt.

Contact with that bare neutral, if someone makes a good enough path to ground, can result in a shock. Remember that electricity will seek ALL paths to it's source, including neutrals and grounds, diving up according to Ohm's Law on EVERY path.

Status
Not open for further replies.