Guy wire roof bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, (great, powerful, all knowing, and experienced electrical code forum members), I am curious as to what others use as a brace (bracket) on a pitched shingle roof when a service mast requires a guy wire.

My local power company has a (attached) spec sheet for this, but no one I find sells these brackets.

So, what do you folks do or use?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here the local utility attaches it to the mast. One of the other local utilities show a pressure treated 2x4 with a specific size of lag bolts to attach to the roof and then they supply the bracket.

OK forget my answer, I was thinking about attaching the service drop. Here they require that you only use rigid pipe, they will allow you to take 2 1/2 inch up to 8' above the roof.

Last edited:

WinZip

Why not bolt a piece of 3 inch angle Iron bolted to the side of the building , nut and bolt threw the rafters , we have had to do this on commercial buildings built in the shape of a 6 inch offset to pass by the roof gutter.

daffy

I have done quite a few of these, and use an eyebolt positioned at less than 90 degrees to the mast. Use 1/8" galvanized cable with clamps, and put a cable tensioner in the middle. The parts are cheap, and we have survived a couple of good ice storms and they hole up well. Just make sure your cable and eye are pulling in parallel with the direction of the utility service drop.

Please read original post

Please read original post

I use a `1 x 10 eye bolt ,roof flashing and unistrut.

Thanks rewire.....I often use unistrut also (when I dont make my own bracket), but, I prefer to conform to the specs.

To everyone else that replied.... thank you.

But:), I have also done many of these..... I'm only looking for possible info on the bracket that bolts to and through the roof. Tired of making my own or not conforming to specs (even though it passes inspection).

Here the local utility attaches it to the mast. One of the other local utilities show a pressure treated 2x4 with a specific size of lag bolts to attach to the roof and then they supply the bracket.

OK forget my answer, I was thinking about attaching the service drop. Here they require that you only use rigid pipe, they will allow you to take 2 1/2 inch up to 8' above the roof.

No ice on them there lines :). 2 1/2 can only go 24" above roof before a guy wire is required here. Unless its less than 200amps, then it can go 36". I should say, the POA must be within those dimensions.

220/221

My local power company has a (attached) spec sheet for this, but no one I find sells these brackets

I assume that you have asked the POCO if the know of a supplier? It seems odd that no one carries an item that the POCO requires.

Here, instead of guy wires, we are required to fashion backbraces with 3/4" EMT. It's a total PITA but sometimes we need the height. We can only go 30" past the roof with 2" and 50" with 2.5" IMC. After that, we need braces.

electrical395.jpg

They have to be bolted thru the rafters/framing and attached to the point of attachment on the mast.

electrical394.jpg

electrical393.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.