Refrigerator Receptacle Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorbin

Having done several commercial kitchens (and having a bad back myself ;)), I have gotten in the habit of putting refrigerator receptacles at 46" above the floor instead of 18". I despise all appliances such as washers, dryers, refrigerators that require you to basically perform feats of contortion to get them plugged in or hooked up behind the unit.

However, I have had a couple of concerns raised when I do this for office buildings and such, where the refrigerator is usually a residential type unit. I am concerned the power cord on these (obviously, I have no control on what kind of refrigerator they buy) might not be long enough to plug into the wall at 48", and still have enough length to pull the unit out for coil cleaning.

What are your thoughts on residential-type refrigerator installation height? Maybe not a huge issue, but as always, I try to perfect my designs for maximum client satisfaction.

mxslick

Not a huge issue at all sir. Most if not all residential fridges have a long enough cord that a 46-48'" recept height is not a problem at all.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My preference for refrigerator receptacles is to match the counter-top receptacle height, which simplifies remodeling. I've never seen refrigerator cord length be an issue, either.

Mike01

My preference for refrigerator receptacles is to match the counter-top receptacle height, which simplifies remodeling. I've never seen refrigerator cord length be an issue, either.

Larry, I never thought of this and think it's a great idea, thats why i enjoy this site...

badabing

that is the way we used to do them. The only time we would have an issue is on high end houses that would put subzero's in and need the outlet in a specific spot behind the fridge. Usually nice to know that ahead of time. Otherwise we would just come off the standard one we installed and blank it.

candyjob34

I think residential-type refrigerator installation height is not problem because there are cord available. But I have not see yet a refrigerator receptacle height.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been to too many jobs where things get moved after we were there. All counter recep and refrig. get installed at 43" to bottom from sub floor. This keeps the recep. a few inches above the back splash. I hate the recep up high on the counter.:)

All the switches in the house are also at 43". Recep. at 13"

I have been to too many jobs where things get moved after we were there. All counter recep and refrig. get installed at 43" to bottom from sub floor. This keeps the recep. a few inches above the back splash. I hate the recep up high on the counter.:)

All the switches in the house are also at 43". Recep. at 13"

In a standard home with 8' ceilings, I put switches at 48 1/2" from the top so the sheet rockers only have to make one cut. (My pops was a sheet rocker)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In a standard home with 8' ceilings, I put switches at 48 1/2" from the top so the sheet rockers only have to make one cut. (My pops was a sheet rocker)
I hate that height :) and I have not seen it used in over 20 years around here. The lower height is less of an eyesore and less likely to be in view of pictures etc.

kwired

Electron manager

That is not as big of a deal anymore with drywallers using rotary tools to make cut outs. I have hung some drywall myself a few times and find the rotary tool to be quite convenient for cut outs. I had little trouble with it myself and made nice cutouts that needed no additional repairs. Yet I get complaints (usually from the hack carpenters) about how hard it is to cut out all those boxes:mad:

hurk27

here we put the switches at 50" to get out of the mud lines so we don't get our box's filled with mud, 46" on kitchen recepts (including the fridge) and 44" on bath counter recepts" 78" for the micro-mate over the stove, and 44" for the range recept, 90" for wire stub out for over the cabinet recepts to be moved up by the cabinet installer to the top edge of the cabinet for cut-in horizontal recept for over cabinet lights on trim out.

did I miss anything:D

Status
Not open for further replies.