Teaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

I have looked at a few jobs teaching basic construction wiring and a few other courses at trade schools. I know there is a good bit to teaching and its not just for anyone. I do have the patience and would like to teach others (found I learn a great deal by teaching). Anyhow my questions are: is there somewhere to take classes on methods to teach electrical classes, and how many instructors have some sort of degree (other than just a technical), most of the trade schools do not even require it (they are big schools too).Thought this was odd but then I went to a career school for some marketing classes and found out that the instructors were not all degree holders.

By the way the schools said they have a curriculm you can use, and over time tweak it to your style kinda make it your own or make your own when comfortable.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
My bachelors degree in education is Workforce Education, from Southern Illinois University. Its an extension program offered at some 15 military bases across the US, and is the 4th year of a 4 year program. You go in with your first three years, I had a two year AA and had to pick up some electives. Its a well respected degree program that teaches you how to teach your job speciality.

When you instruct trades persons, you must understand the different learning styles and how to relate to the adult learner. I would assume that you are a very knowledgeable electrician, and you should be a competant instructor, the market will determine how well you do.

If a degree is too much, Fred Pryor has train the trainer classes, or take Mike Holts 2 day instructor training in Flordia.

I forgot to add with the BS in Workforce Education, you can get an technical training job just about anywhere.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One more comment- I got my degree on the GI Bill when I was much younger and had the ambition.

One skill that can't be taught but must be learned is classroom management.Its the knack of meeting and greeting, making your students feel welcome.

And check out your local community college for power point classes, take all you can find.
The good news is that laptops and projectors are now very affordable.

In Pa at Kaplan University the instructors do not have to carry any degrees. They are normally (former) licensed electricians. They have to instruct a class of electrical instructors and based on their opinion they will or will not receive the position. Then they start in the early modules, which a second year apprentice could teach. (Tool edification, ladder safety , ppe) Eventually settling in on their specialty. Most of my instructors seem to like their jobs. Good luck.

wwcline

I started teaching the 1st year of the apprenticeship at a Technical Center 4 years ago. I had never been to college before. I have my Master's card and that's pretty much it. The county I work for let me work as an Instructor and counted my years in the field as education experience. The state of Va. gave me 3 years to take 3 college level courses to get a " Technical Professional License." I can teach Electricity and that's it. I teach High School Juniors and Seniors and really enjoy my job. Everyone says you can make more money in the field, which is true; however, having a steady job, teaching these guys that really do need you is very rewarding!

Status
Not open for further replies.