When was NM cable adopted as not allowed in commercial buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What I tried to convey is the idea that there were discussions during the years that the larger occupied buildings were took longer to evacuate during fires, etc... the longer time was a concern due to the lethal fumes from burning NM cable.
Pierre,
The only problem I have with that is the very small quantities of lethal fumes that will come from the NM cable and other parts of the building itself as compared to the lethal fumes from finishes and furnishings of the building.

Buck Parrish

Somebody posted a picture a while back. It was of what looked like millions of #12 NM ran all nice and neat. Row after row after row, 90's offsets, etc...In a commercial building.
I forgot who posted it. It might have been Pierre.

220/221

My concern wouldn't be with toxic fumes, it would be with potential damage to cable. There is a LOT more going on in commercial buildings than in your house.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
it would be with potential damage to cable. There is a LOT more going on in commercial buildings than in your house.
With the NM being concealed within walls why would that be an issue? In reality the conductors would be less likely to overheat being that they are not confined within a metallic raceway.

Roger

220/221

Not all the cable is in the walls.

I share the opinion that a conduit/metal cable system is a safer system and commercial/public spaces should use it.

bruce6670

Not all the cable is in the walls.

I share the opinion that a conduit/metal cable system is a safer system and commercial/public spaces should use it.

I agree totally. I was working in a school today which was full of Romex. I think this school was built in the 70's. It seemed to me that with all the stuff above the drop ceiling, and all the people who work up there, Romex would be a poor choice as a wiring method. Just to easy to cut the cable and cause a short.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here in CA and mostly in the Los Angeles area, which is made up of many, many city's, some have ordinances that don't allow NMC cable at all, some don't allow it in commercial / Industrial, and some go by what the code says.

wireguy8169

334.12 (a)(2)

334.12 (a)(2)

334.12 Uses Not Permitted.

(A)(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other
than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings

It is allowed in drop ceilings , but only in one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings not sure if that is what you ment to say.

220/221

So, where are the cables that would be a problem?

Roger

Hell, I don't know....every commercial building I see seems to have conduit exposed all over the place. Coming out of the surface mounted panels, going from light to light etc. If it were romex it would be a mess.

Also, most commercial buildings here have grid ceilings so I guess it wouldn't be allowed anyway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hell, I don't know....every commercial building I see seems to have conduit exposed all over the place. Coming out of the surface mounted panels, going from light to light etc. If it were romex it would be a mess.
So why not just protect those particular cables in conduit or tubing?

Also, most commercial buildings here have grid ceilings so I guess it wouldn't be allowed anyway.
You don't have any wiring in walls?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.