Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

If you meant one of those guys who uses judgement then yes.

Where it says the AHJ has the responsiblity. Note the word in not right or privilage.

Are you the AHJ? If not, that does not pertain to you, and all you can do is enforce the code. Also, the third sentence doesn't make sense without proper punctuation.

~Matt

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Are you the AHJ? If not, that does not pertain to you, and all you can do is enforce the code. Also, the third sentence doesn't make sense without proper punctuation.

~Matt

Matt

Using your argument (logic) none of the code applies to me.?

You must not understand 90.4. If you did you would understand that no structure would ever be built if it were not for the judgement of the AHJ.

hurk27

Matt

Using your argument (logic) none of the code applies to me.?

You must not understand 90.4. If you did you would understand that no structure would ever be built if it were not for the judgment of the AHJ.

Mike we must understand we are all under different requirements in each and every state we are from and work in, this also goes for Matt also and everyone else for that matter, it all depends upon how each place has adopted their own laws, and how they apply, I can only express the laws of my state and how they apply to my work in the state of Indiana, here there is only one AHJ and that is the state of Indiana person who is responsible for the interpretation of the requirements adopted by the state, we have a state wide building code and is subject to the adopted laws of the state. local inspectors are only allowed to enforce what is written, if there is a point that need clarification, then it must come from state level in the form of a interpretation and is legal binding to both the inspector and the contractor, variances from the adopted code is also at state level and a variance must be such to warrant a change in the adopted code state wide not just for that location in the state, we fought for this for a long time, mainly because of my area of inspectors thinking they have the right to require what ever they want, and this made bidding and doing a job almost imposable.

attached is our amendments in which you will note that most of article 90 was amended to reference state law codes (enforceable law) as Indiana code. in these laws it will say that the building commission is the only AHJ, who is responsible for the interpretation of the building code.

this can be found here:IC 22-13-5

so we must all keep in mind when we make post responding to specific questions, that the laws in different areas of the country can vary greatly from state to state and location to location, we must keep our minds open, because it would be hard for us to know all the laws of every state.;)

Last edited:

hurk27

I must add that it is an important step to go beyond just knowing electrical codes for your area, we should also be exploring what your state and local law also has in it that pertains to your work, not knowing the law can result in a lot of trouble and unnecessary cost for your customers and you, and protects you from doing things your not allowed to do or being required to do things that are really not required.

depending on hearsay can be a road to disaster.

With the Internet, almost all state laws can be researched right from our homes, local law is required to be published either on the Internet or at your local public library's, or can be found by calling the local city/county and they have to provide where you can look it up. but it is always best to be in the know, when dealing with law.

Vladek

It blows my mind that people think they can avoid the new rules just because they choose to use an existing circuit in some way. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's always better to go with first impressions and popular opinion than seek out the true intent and requirements of new rules.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
It blows my mind that people think they can avoid the new rules just because they choose to use an existing circuit in some way. :confused:

Yes, it's always better to go with first impressions and popular opinion than seek out the true intent and requirements of new rules.[/QUOTE]

5 years since your last post? Come on in the water is bonded.

Status
Not open for further replies.