GFCI to explode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So maybe explode is not the right term to use, but this thing is just fried. I installed it maybe 3 months ago, and it has worked just fine since then, its on a 15amp circuit with only a Tv and a few lights. The most this thing has seen is a shop vac for cleaning cars and thats rare.

What would cause this? It was new out of the box, its a Cooper GFCI. It was installed properly, and was weatherproof.

I have changed out many GFCI's that stopped working over the years but have never seen this. take a look.

GFCI_1_65.jpg

GFCI_2_65.jpg

GFCI_4_65.jpg

Hey, No it does not have the WR on the front.

It is listed on the box for damp or wet locations and outdoors. and there is a sticker on the side of the unit that reads: "In wet and damp locations, NEC 406.8 requires installers to keep the GFCI dry by using a weather-proof enclosure with proper gaskets and caulking"

And in the instructions it states: "For installations in wet locations, protect the GFCI receptacle with a weatherproof cover that will keep both the receptacle and any plugs dry.:

I bought a case of them when I did, because I install so many. still have a few left.

The WR not being on the front to me, just indicates that this was manufactured prior to the WR being printed on weather resistant receptacles. Kinda like the TR stamping, the WR is there for quick identification.

Thanks for your input, It could have been water, although it would drain out of the box, and I have never seen this happen due to moisture, if that were the case, this would happen all over the country in bathrooms.

Tom

hurk27

I have seen about 3 of these burn up like this and in each time it was because water had entered them and cause it to short out, the gasket (hard cardboard) between the cover and the siding block didn't seal good because of the siding block face deformed from tightening down the GFCI, which allowed water to enter the GFCI, one case was on brick, and the home owner was using a pressure washer to clean the brick with a cleaner that was conductive, which got into the GFCI.

So now I add a little silicon to the top and sides of the gasket and also seal around the top and sides of the cover when installing them leaving the bottom open to drain.

mxslick

My guess is also leaning towards lightning or extended surge/overvoltage.

If the OP saved the device he should contact Cooper and see if they want it back to determine a cause and if there may be a potential defect in the design.

I have seen about 3 of these burn up like this and in each time it was because water had entered them and cause it to short out, the gasket (hard cardboard) between the cover and the siding block didn't seal good because of the siding block face deformed from tightening down the GFCI, which allowed water to enter the GFCI, one case was on brick, and the home owner was using a pressure washer to clean the brick with a cleaner that was conductive, which got into the GFCI.

So now I add a little silicon to the top and sides of the gasket and also seal around the top and sides of the cover when installing them leaving the bottom open to drain.

Hey Hurk27, I'm curious, were the ones you saw this happen to Copper devices? this is a cooper aspire serious GFCI, I have seen GFCI's fully submerged before in underground water box's, that were not installed with adequate drain.

I don't want to believe this was lightning, I do use silicone on the cover, but not around the box it self, it could have filled with water, but would have drained out the bottom.

I did contact Cooper, should hear something back next week, I'll share their words with the forum,

Thanks guys

Tom

hurk27

My guess is also leaning towards lightning or extended surge/overvoltage.

If the OP saved the device he should contact Cooper and see if they want it back to determine a cause and if there may be a potential defect in the design.

I sent two of the ones I found, in to UL, maybe why we have the WR requirement? but they agreed it was water that caused it.

If you notice the smoke pattern in the siding block in the photo, you can see that the gasket didn't seal in the top right portion of contact with the block, also the fact he didn't loose any electronics on the same circuit as said in post 3,

I sent two of the ones I found, in to UL, maybe why we have the WR requirement? but they agreed it was water that caused it.

If you notice the smoke pattern in the siding block in the photo, you can see that the gasket didn't seal in the top right portion of contact with the block, also the fact he didn't loose any electronics on the same circuit as said in post 3,

Very good information about UL, When i removed this, the cover was still very tight, but yes, the foam and the clear silicone was pretty much dust, why would the water not have drained? As you can see in the photos, i drilled a 5/8" hole at the bottom of the box at a downward angle, this goes into a crawlspace, i just can't imagine water not draining in there if it was getting into the box, although I do suppose it could have been dripping in at the top and maybe getting into the GFCI around the screws.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I'm just fascinated by this.

Thanks

hurk27

Hey Hurk27, I'm curious, were the ones you saw this happen to Copper devices? this is a cooper aspire serious GFCI, I have seen GFCI's fully submerged before in underground water box's, that were not installed with adequate drain.

I don't want to believe this was lightning, I do use silicone on the cover, but not around the box it self, it could have filled with water, but would have drained out the bottom.

I did contact Cooper, should hear something back next week, I'll share their words with the forum,

Thanks guys

Tom

actually two were the chepo Menard specials, and the one on brick hit by a pressure washer with soap was a cooper, UL said the same thing I just posted, the smoke pattern on the siding block showed signs that the gasket wasn't sealing against the block by the evidence of the smoke build up where the gasket should have been touching, and the pressure washer one, had high levels of salt in it, from the soap, and the fact that all three failed when we had no storm in the area, but there was sprinklers in the ones on siding blocks.

hurk27

Very good information about UL, When i removed this, the cover was still very tight, but yes, the foam and the clear silicone was pretty much dust, why would the water not have drained? As you can see in the photos, i drilled a 5/8" hole at the bottom of the box at a downward angle, this goes into a crawlspace, i just can't imagine water not draining in there if it was getting into the box, although I do suppose it could have been dripping in at the top and maybe getting into the GFCI around the screws.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I'm just fascinated by this.

Thanks

water doesn't have to fill the box up, it just has to find a way to get into the GFCI, and they are not sealed as the newer one are, so yes water can run into them from the plug openings, screws or where the assembly parts are mated, if enough water runs down the siding and washes enough conductive dust placed there by a good rain then it is possible, and I too have seen some older ones under water and this didn't happen but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.