Discon to Main Lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobeus

I just bought a warehouse that needs some serious updating.

There are 5 floors including a Basement

I plan to Run Separate feeders to each Floor and each floor having its own Disconnect and Panel. Oh and its 3 phase.

So my question is can I run the feeders to the Disconnect on each floor then to a Main Lug Panel?...and do this for each floor?

Or do I have to have the disconnect means at the beginning of the circuit ( next to Main CT).

My goal with the disconects is to drastically reduce the amount of money Id have top spend on 5 panels with main breakers...(800 US bucks a POP)

Any Helps appreciated

jumper

I am not sure, but I believe that you can use MLO panels on each floor without disconnects. I need to research this more.

I believe that as long as each feeder is protected by a OCPD/breaker at the main panel and you have a main breaker or 6 or less breakers to disconnect the service supply conductors you would be okay.

mobeus

I am not sure, but I believe that you can use MLO panels on each floor without disconnects. I need to research this more.

I believe that as long as each feeder is protected by a OCPD/breaker at the main panel and you have a main breaker or 6 or less breakers to disconnect the service supply conductors you would be okay.

I had planned to come straight out of the CT cabinet and feed each floor from there. So there would not be OCP to the main lug ( unless I put in Fused Disconnect for each floor)...

I would have less than 6 Disconnects in this Installation. I guess im confused about the fact that I thought the feed wires would need some sort of protecttion from the point it leaves the CT to the actual MLO...BUT if I do that Then I ALSO thought I read some where that MLO's need a means to disconnect power to it that was readily accessible...such as right next to it.

On another note I do have A 200Amp Panel (3phase) locate on the main floor right next to the ct. COuld I throw several 50 Amp breakers in there and use that to feed each floor? Im worried that if I can And do, then 50 amps surely wont be enough for each floor, considering I would have some converyor belts, Lights, recepticles, and god knows what else machinery.

what thinks you ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I had planned to come straight out of the CT cabinet and feed each floor from there. So there would not be OCP to the main lug ( unless I put in Fused Disconnect for each floor)...
Where is the service disconnect(s) if you are coming directly off the CTs?

I would have less than 6 Disconnects in this Installation. I guess im confused about the fact that I thought the feed wires would need some sort of protecttion from the point it leaves the CT to the actual MLO...BUT if I do that Then I ALSO thought I read some where that MLO's need a means to disconnect power to it that was readily accessible...such as right next to it.
The conductors will have to be protected per the rules in Article 240. The panels do not require a main or a local disconnect.

On another note I do have A 200Amp Panel (3phase) locate on the main floor right next to the ct. COuld I throw several 50 Amp breakers in there and use that to feed each floor? Im worried that if I can And do, then 50 amps surely wont be enough for each floor, considering I would have some converyor belts, Lights, recepticles, and god knows what else machinery.

what thinks you ?
If you already have a panel, there must be at least one service disconnect. If there are any other service disconnects they must be grouped with that one.

mobeus

Also in the CT You've got the main Service wires comming in that attached to something that I have no clue as to what it is. Perhaps a fuse of some sort? I should also note this building is almost 70 yrs old. If those are in fact fuses Then I would not need disconnects on each floor correct? See pics below...Hope they load properly

41153_10150256291895652_854530651_14195883_854935_n.jpg

44331_10150256291910652_854530651_14195884_546252_n.jpg
44331_10150256291915652_854530651_14195885_4707552_n.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Moebus are you an electrical contractor? You need a main disconnect or no more than 6 disconnects grouped at the service or inside as near as possible to the entrance of the conductors.

mobeus

Where is the service disconnect(s) if you are coming directly off the CTs?

The conductors will have to be protected per the rules in Article 240. The panels do not require a main or a local disconnect.

If you already have a panel, there must be at least one service disconnect. If there are any other service disconnects they must be grouped with that one.

I plan to group the 5 disconnects right off the trough under the CT, and run the feeders to MLO on each of the 5 floors.

As for the ARt 240 I I knew the conductors need to have a disconnect but wasnt sure about the panels themselves.

the panel that i have hooked up now has a 200 amp main breaKer ...this panel is fed directly from the CT. In the pics above the red, blue, and Black wire is feeding the 200 amp panel now...with no disconnect between...(cept the 200 amp main breaker in the panel)

TO surmise, it sounds like I can simply put 5 Fusible disconnects next to the CT on the main floor, then feed a MLO on each floor from 1 disconnect ?

mobeus

Moebus are you an electrical contractor? You need a main disconnect or no more than 6 disconnects grouped at the service or inside as near as possible to the entrance of the conductors.

Not a Contractor But have been an electriccian for 10 yrs, since I was 18...Problem is not to much commercial experience.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Before you go anywhere with this you need to know what the calculated load will be to see what size service you need. From there you need to figure the best way -- are you only having one meter for all 5 floors? Lots of questions arise.

mobeus

Before you go anywhere with this you need to know what the calculated load will be to see what size service you need. From there you need to figure the best way -- are you only having one meter for all 5 floors? Lots of questions arise.

Yes there is Only One meter Installed,Last week actually by power company.

as for the calculate load, I Really dont have an idea, Because over time More machinery will be added, most of it 3 phase. right now all I have are the conveyor systems to each floor, sprinkler system pumps, lights, and a Cargo elevator...

DO the disconnects have to be fusible for OCP if I go with using MLO?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is impossible to help you without more info. Service conductors must be protected by OCPD as soon as possible once they enter the building. You cannot run inside the building without overcurrent protection protection. I really think you need to hire someone on this.

mobeus

It is impossible to help you without more info. Service conductors must be protected by OCPD as soon as possible once they enter the building. You cannot run inside the building without overcurrent protection protection. I really think you need to hire someone on this.

I Understand this...That was part of my question. Do i need OCPD at the service ( by means of fusible Disconnect switch at CT) AND at the MLO? Or Just at Service :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
With 200 to 5 CTs, you probably only have a 200 amp service. You can't just add panels without knowing what the total load will be.
The cables with the tape on the load side of the CTs look small for a 200 amp panel.
I think this installation needs to be reviewed by an engineer or a contractor with a lot more experience in this type of work.

mobeus

Thanks. Makes sense about the CT's :)

The cables with the tape on the load side of the CTs look small for a 200 amp panel.
I think this installation needs to be reviewed by an engineer or a contractor with a lot more experience in this type of work.

Those are actually #2. I think they look small because the service side wire is Huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.