What size wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Looking to replace this old Pushamatic panel.

Not sure of the underground feeder size; General Cable USE.

The pics show the only markings on this cable. This install is probably from the late 50s to early 60s.

Would like to use the existing undergound feeders but, what size are they? The cables are copper (the ends are not pictured.)

2 awg just seems too small...

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good news and bad news. From all indications it appears to be a #2.
But.... It also appears to only be listed as a type USE cable amd. if that's the case, 338.12 prohibits it's use inside.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
338.12 (B) sounds like USE must be terminated outdoors? Wow that is odd.

Regarding the size, it just looks to big to be 2 awg. I can't find any specs on this cable. The only data I am findng for General Cable USE is for alum cable.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Good information (as always!)

What is the reasoning that does not allow USE type cable to be terminated in the building?

Anyway, looks like this panel replacement just blossomed into a larger effort with trenching around 45? to get near the POA on the side of the house.

wawireguy

Maybe when this install was put in USE was allowed to enter the structure? Also is the wire dual rated? Might be some other marks on it. I wouldn't hesitate to re-use it as long as the inspector doesn't have a problem with it. If you can bury it you certainly can run it into a panel safely. Code aside. Or you could bring it into a j-box outside. Splice it. Then bring your updated conductors inside.

sparky59

Wiring brought inside the house has to be heat resistant. For example RHW. USE can be used from the transformer to the meter.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Wa & sparky: thanks for the input.

Yes I will double chk with the local insp. Here in NJ much is allowed if you "repair" the existing installation.

Sparky, thank you for the explaination re: USE in the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.