Bryant in BR panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

malty

I'm installing a new cuttler hammer BR panel and the old panel is a Bryant. I'm pretty sure the BR breakers are listed for the old Bryant panels. My question is can I use the old Bryant breakers in the new CH BR panel and would they be listed for the new BR panel ?
Thanks

mcclary's electrical

I'm installing a new cuttler hammer BR panel and the old panel is a Bryant. I'm pretty sure the BR breakers are listed for the old Bryant panels. My question is can I use the old Bryant breakers in the new CH BR panel and would they be listed for the new BR panel ?
Thanks

Why would you risk the damge that can occur to your buss bar if the clips have gotten weak? I never reuse old breakers on a service change

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As I remember there is a slight change in the design of the mounting foot and the old breakers don't fit the new loadcenters. A few years ago I tried to do the same thing and was not successful. You can give it a shot but be prepared to replace the breakers.

malty

Why would you risk the damge that can occur to your buss bar if the clips have gotten weak? I never reuse old breakers on a service change

What kind of damage to the buss? If the clips are weak it seems to me the breaker just wouldn't hold tight on the buss not destroy it. Have you had experience with an old breaker thats compatible damageing a buss? Like I said customer is short on cash and needs the work done and doesn't want to spend over 100 bucks more for breakers unless I tell him it can't be done because it's a code violation.

dcspector

What kind of damage to the buss? If the clips are weak it seems to me the breaker just wouldn't hold tight on the buss not destroy it. Have you had experience with an old breaker thats compatible damageing a buss? Like I said customer is short on cash and needs the work done and doesn't want to spend over 100 bucks more for breakers unless I tell him it can't be done because it's a code violation.

Try arcing. loose termination as in if this is the case, will damage the bus as in heat.

Last edited:

mpd

does the cutler hammer panel list bryant breakers for use in that panelboard or does bryant list those breakers for use in a cutler hammer panelboard

malty

does the cutler hammer panel list bryant breakers for use in that panelboard or does bryant list those breakers for use in a cutler hammer panelboard

No it doesn't but nether does the old Bryant panel list the use of of new BR breakers. I know what your getting at not listed on panel for use. Would you not put a BR breaker in a bryant panel because it was not listed on the panel.
BR breakers are listed by UL for BRYANT panels but not on the panel because when Bryant was in business there were no such thing as a CH BR breaker.

malty

Try arcing. loose termination as in if this is the case, will damage the bus as in heat.

If it's that loose I should be able to tell when it snaps in and try to pull out.
I've seen regular CH breakers unsnap off the buss just by flipping the breaker off.

Umlaut

F P breakers maybe but I haven't seen anything on bryant being bad they were just bought out by cuttler hammer. If u have info on this let me know.

I'll see what I can find. I certainly don't mean to impugn their product -- I'm just going from memory, but I do remember the Bryan-brand breakers are problematic, not all the BR type breakers.

malty

I think the key word in this letter to jim is "INTERCHANGEABLE".
The definition of INTERCHANGEABLE is capable of being USED WITH EACH OTHER. So according to UL BR breakers CAN be used in a BRYANT panel.
Am I reading this funny?? wada you think?

Also useing the definition of INTERCHANGEABLE in this letter I think the BRYANT breakers are approved for the CH panel by UL. Am I wrong ??

norcal

Bryant was the residential/light commercial loadcenter line of Westinghouse, the Bryant name was replaced w/ Westinghouse until Eaton bought the Westinghouse line from CBS. ( W. changed their name after they bought the CBS TV network & started to sell their industrial lines). Eaton merged the former Westinghouse divisions into their Cutler-Hammer subsiduary in the early 1990's.
This same situation occurs w/ I-T-E Circuit Breaker Co. , I-T-E Imperial Corp., Gould/I-T-E, I-T-E Electrical Products Div. of Siemens-Allis, Siemens/I-T-E, & Siemens + Siemens era Murray breakers are based on the I-T-E EQ frame breaker design introduced by Gould in 1979-80, but I doubt there is any paperwork allowing Murray & Siemens breakers to interchange, this is the problem that rears it's ugly head as the result of mergers & acquisitions over time.

Hubbell bought the Bryant wiring device line & perhaps that is why Bryant was removed as the brand of the loadcenter line???

Last edited:

WinZip

If this customer is a cheap and there is a problem later I'm sure he will want it all redone at your expense or could sue you , put new breakers in an be done with him.

malty

FYI
I just called Eaton and talked to a technical support rep. (AL) and was told there is no problem with using the old "Bryant BR breakers in the new CH BR panel" there the same.
I also called my inspector and was told if I had a cross reference it's OK with him. Eaton also has a cross reference table on their site for this under molded case circuit breakers 3-1 table 3-224. So Bryant BR can be used in a CH BR panel or CH BR breakers can be used in the Bryant panel. The rep also told me that using the Bryant breakers in the CH panel would not void the panel warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.