ceiling fan wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I made a mistake running wire for ceiling fan, I have a hot line in at ceiling box and also a switch leg down to wall switch for the light, I thought about last night I also want a switch for the fan so not have to use the pull chain. Its a 30 ft run to run another switch leg but I have a hot line just 4 ft from the switch box. If i run a hot into the switch box I can use the black in the switch leg to run the light and the white in the switch leg to run the fan. I wont need the hot in the ceiling box but can get the neutral from it . Is this a code violation ? i know its allowed to mark a white switch traveler with black tape
but is it allowed when wired this way

Last edited:

Hendrix

I made a mistake running wire for ceiling fan, I have a hot line in at ceiling box and also a switch leg down to wall switch for the light, I thought about last night I also want a switch for the fan so not have to use the pull chain. Its a 30 ft run to run another switch leg but I have a hot line just 4 ft from the switch box. If i run a hot into the switch box I can use the black in the switch leg to run the light and the white in the switch leg to run the fan. I wont need the hot in the ceiling box but can get the neutral from it . Is this a code violation ? i know its allowed to mark a white switch traveler with black tape
but is it allowed when wired this way
Or....you can get a wireless controll for the fan and light.

cripple

ceiling fan wiring

I wont need the hot in the ceiling box but can get the neutral from it.
This would violate 300.3(B), becuase the nuetral conductor is not containted cable.

cripple

ceiling fan wiring

That is what 300.3(B) states:
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

220/221

So.....You are saying that you can't use a nutral from a differant circuit.

1. You can't use a neutral from a different circuit. That would be downright dangerous for someone working on the circuit. Even if you shut off circuit A, there may be juice running back thru the neutral from circuit B.

2. The neutral has to be in the same cable as the hot. In most cases, no real danger here.

PS. ALWAYS run a 3 wire to fans. Even if you don't need it, it costs only pennies more and somebody some day will thank you.

jetlag

same circuit

same circuit

this will all be on the same circuit at the end of run so there will be no hot when breaker is off and also no chance of doubling load on a neutral . I think the code is a bit to strict in a case like this what difference could it possibly make if the hot and neutral entered the j box in different cables, if they were all single strand wires in a piece of conduit why is that any better

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is an option that will cost $65 or so.

Lutron Electronics MA-LFQHW-WH Maestro 300 Watt White Single Pole Light Dimmer #u809853

Maestro, 300w, white, single pole, light dimmer and 1a fan control, includes dimmer, fan control, wall plate and canopy module.

Page 6 of this PDF

Last edited:
this will all be on the same circuit at the end of run so there will be no hot when breaker is off and also no chance of doubling load on a neutral . I think the code is a bit to strict in a case like this what difference could it possibly make if the hot and neutral entered the j box in different cables, if they were all single strand wires in a piece of conduit why is that any better

with the neutral and hot together, this helps keep the emf down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.