Would You or Wouldn't You

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Would You or Wouldn't You

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Code would allow the omission, but I'd discuss it with the customer, and strongly suggest including it unless they object for some reason.

There are plenty of appliances, such as toasters, that will easily fit within an 11" space.
I second this

360Youth

Maybe whoever roughed it in was not aware of the 12" c'top rule. Or the cabinet design got changed a but.

I roughed it, and yes, I knew it would be under 12". But I think it would look very poor on my part, especially on a custom, to not provide one for the customer. Dennis makes a good point, if it was a repetitive issue on a set of track houses. I would draw the line, potentially, at that point.

220/221

Absolutely.

To leave it out would be.....well.......stupid.

OK....fess up. Who are the two no votes ?

Unless the job was being done on very tight margins I would just put one there.

If the magins are that tight, you won't be around for the trim out :)

Last edited:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I voted yes, but I would ask the customer first. I would give them a dollar amount to add it on, and if they wanted it I'd give it to them. If they asked my opinion, I would tell them to spring for it. Most likely less than $50 to add it on.

Jim W in Tampa

No question about it you should offer it and highly suggest it. However there will be a charge unless it was on the print. There is never too many and that spot would be great for coffee maker.

480sparky

A missing but required receptacle costs more than multiple additional but not required receptacles (usually).

True, but installing one that is not required means you're bidding in a already tight market, and every unnecessary bit of material and every minute of unnecessary labor works against you.

360Youth

just click on the "2" in the votes box, its an open poll;)

but I belive there should have been a third choice since both could have been the answer we would chose?
slection of answer two does not make answer one wrong as it is correct.

I tried to think of a third alternative, but there really is only two choices...would you or wouldn't. It is clear that the receptacle is not required, but would you include it anyway. I guess a third option could have been, at what charge, if any. We did not charge for it. One more inch of counter and I would have had to put it there at no extra charge. Had this been other than a kitchen circumstances change, IMO.

480sparky

..but I belive there should have been a third choice since both could have been the answer we would chose?........

I would have done more than that.

No
Yes
Yes, if requested (& paid) to do so.
No, but only in a spec home
Yes, but only in a custom
Yes, if it was my home
Yes, because I didn't bid it
Yes, because I don't have any prints to go by
Yes, since I want to CMA for inspections

et al.

Jim W in Tampa

Better question is why NEC does not require it. Even if it is as small as 2 inches it might have a use. Phone charger, mixer near range, etc. NEC is about safety and if it is not available and wanted then we see extention cords. But is no reason to give it away free. Perhaps if it is not on the print your bidding offer it as a bonus to try and be the winner.

hurk27

Better question is why NEC does not require it. Even if it is as small as 2 inches it might have a use. Phone charger, mixer near range, etc. NEC is about safety and if it is not available and wanted then we see extention cords. But is no reason to give it away free. Perhaps if it is not on the print your bidding offer it as a bonus to try and be the winner.

What code cycle was it that changed it to 12" I think it used to be 9" "99"?

mcclary's electrical

Yeah...............................:confused: A 2" filler strip needs a recpetacle:confused:

Get real

Status
Not open for further replies.