Receptacles over 150A

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderMT

We completed a job last year with many large receptacles, 100 - 200A. Recently another electrical contractor was at the site for a company that was leasing the facility. They are claiming that all receptacles over 100 or 150A are required to have a local disconnect. I am pretty sure that this is not true, I have looked everywhere I can think of in the code book and can't find anything. Is this code and if so where is this in the code book??? Oh, some of these are hazardous location. I looked in 502 and didn't see anything there either.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well, I don't think your buddy is right. Art. 406 is for cord caps, connectors and receptacles and I see nothing in there.

Art. 424.33 does not require it either

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.
(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).
(C) Rating. The rating of a receptacle or of a separable connector shall not be less than the rating of any appliance connected thereto.
Exception: Demand factors authorized elsewhere in this Code shall be permitted to be applied to the rating of a receptacle or of a separable connector.

raider1

Staff member
Most likely the utilization equipment pluged into these receptacles will require a local disconnectng means and for motors a cord and plug as large as you have mentioned can't be used as the disconnecting means.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most likely the utilization equipment pluged into these receptacles will require a local disconnectng means and for motors a cord and plug as large as you have mentioned can't be used as the disconnecting means.

Chris
Where is that written Chris. I can see why you wouldn't want it but what article says you can't or is this a manufacturer thing. :)

raider1

Staff member
Where is that written Chris. I can see why you wouldn't want it but what article says you can't or is this a manufacturer thing. :)

For motors (Which is what I was envisioning :) ) I would reference 430.102 and 430.109(F). I may be wrong and these plug could be horsepower rated.:)

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The safety rules at many companies prohibit the use of receptacles on high current circuits unless the plug cannot be installed or removed with the receptacle energized. I don't think that it is in any code, however there could be an arc flash exposure issue that is covered in 70E.

SpiderMT

These receptacles are not for large motors. This is a payload processing facility for satellites before launch. Most of the equipment is portable cooling equipment, temp power for portable office trailers, power carts with multiple smaller receptacles, things like that. I can understand that yeah, it might be nice to have a disconnect, but is it REQUIRED. And if so where? I need code articles to refer too.

WorkSafe

As a minimum, an arc flash hazard needs to be completed on these receptacles IAW NFPA 70E 130.2.

It would not be pretty if a employee is killed just by simply disconnecting or connecting the supply cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.