alcohol test stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Have a alcohol test stand ( 6 gallons ) that we use to do bubble point testing . The alcohol starts to get dirty so a engineer wants us to install a pump and filter on the stand . Can we use a TEFC motor or does this need to be explosion proof ?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Since I don't fully know the processes involved, how is the location the motor would be installed in classified?

Again, since I don't really know the processes involved, a possibly totally unrelated question: Is 6 gallons of alcohol so valuable that it?s more cost effective to filter it than to replace it periodically?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Since I don't fully know the processes involved, how is the location the motor would be installed in classified?

Again, since I don't really know the processes involved, a possibly totally unrelated question: Is 6 gallons of alcohol so valuable that it?s more cost effective to filter it than to replace it periodically?

Likely not, but the disposal fees may be expensive.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is a bit confusing compared with your previous response. I should have asked this in my first response - what size will the motor be and will it be single or three-phase.

In any case, assuming the motor enclosure is the only protection technique under consideration, if it is in Division 1, it must be explosionproof. In Division 2, three-phase motors may usually be TEFC if they have no other "features" such as integral thermal switches or space heaters; single-phase motors must be explosionproof. See Section 501.125(B).

rt66electric

distill instead of filter

distill instead of filter

I wired a machine for a auto-body shop in side of thier "mixing closet'. It was a distiller/boilier/reclaimer. IT would boil the laquer of of old paint for reuse.
I'm sure an plant engineer could come up w/$30,00 solution or you could buy $3000 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.