Old Ungrounded Lighting Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi Chris, I was aware of 250.130C for adding a ground wire for grounding a receptacle but I wasn't sure if it also allowed for adding a ground wire to any ungrounded box because it only makes reference to receptacles. Does 250.130C allow for other applications as well? Thanks, Trent

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure the code addresses lights in that fashion but what is good enough for the goose should be good for the gander. :) In other words, it should be okay for lighting also. Who would complain if you added a ground wire. Now I don't believe you could add to the circuit.

raider1

Staff member
Hi Chris, I was aware of 250.130C for adding a ground wire for grounding a receptacle but I wasn't sure if it also allowed for adding a ground wire to any ungrounded box because it only makes reference to receptacles. Does 250.130C allow for other applications as well? Thanks, Trent

That section also references branch circuit extensions which I would say would apply to a lighting box.

Chris

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Chris,
I just talked to the head inspector in my town and he interprets that section of the code the same way as you do. I want to thank everyone for their input. Trent

hurk27

So how does one apply 250.130?? it appears that the ground wire will be run out side of the other conductors since its added later! Sometimes the code is just not as clear in some areas.

you know, I have no idea, I have never been given a clear reason why the exception to 250.134(B) cant be used other then we know that when a grounding conductor is run seperatly from the circuit conductors it increases the impedance of a circuit in a fault condition, but it does clearly state it can be ran seperatly.:confused:

I know I argued this years ago on here, and for the life of me, I cant remember why I was told it wasn't allowed.:confused:

raider1

Staff member
How does this go non par with NEC 2008 300.3(B)

300.3(B) is a general rule, 250.130(C) applys to a specific situation.

it doesn't, equipment grounding conductors are not allowed to be run separate except in a very few places, and for very short runs, like 6'

I disagree, 250.130(C) and 250.134(B) Exception #1 permit the EGC to be run separate for ungroundede branch circuit extentions and replacement of ungrounded receptacles.

So how does one apply 250.130?? it appears that the ground wire will be run out side of the other conductors since its added later! Sometimes the code is just not as clear in some areas.

Correct, a ground wire is permitted to be run separate from the rest of the branch circuit conductors.

you know, I have no idea, I have never been given a clear reason why the exception to 250.134(B) cant be used other then we know that when a grounding conductor is run seperatly from the circuit conductors it increases the impedance of a circuit in a fault condition, but it does clearly state it can be ran seperatly.:confused:

I know I argued this years ago on here, and for the life of me, I cant remember why I was told it wasn't allowed.:confused:

Again this allowance for the EGC to be run separate is for a very specific situation and IMHO would most likely not cause any additional hazards or issues.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.