Nfpa 70e

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKDesigner

We are currently under a delima, our AHJ has consulted with another firm and dictated that a three phase bank of transformers (regardless of size) configured as one three phase bank (typical utility) is considered one three phase transformer and if falls under the exception to Article 130.3 then the calculations are not required, is this correct?

Secondly, he has also been advised that if the exception in Article 130.3 is applied the the entire Article 130.0 does not apply thus no PPE is required for any and all circuits falling under the exception. I feel this is some bad advise and the individual giving it does not have a clear understanding of the code.

Am I right that both these decisions are incorrect or am I in the wrong. I have worked with the NEC for over 40 years and with 70E for over the past 6 years and this is the first time I have had this kind of feed back from an AHJ.

Help!

zog

We are currently under a delima, our AHJ has consulted with another firm and dictated that a three phase bank of transformers (regardless of size) configured as one three phase bank (typical utility) is considered one three phase transformer and if falls under the exception to Article 130.3 then the calculations are not required, is this correct?

Possibly, depending on the KVA and voltage.

Secondly, he has also been advised that if the exception in Article 130.3 is applied the the entire Article 130.0 does not apply thus no PPE is required for any and all circuits falling under the exception. I feel this is some bad advise and the individual giving it does not have a clear understanding of the code.
Not true at all, PPE is still required, you would just use the tables if they can be applied. The exception says a detailed arc flash study is not required, that does not mean PPE is not required. He is getting, and giving very bad advise.

raider1

Staff member
Possibly, depending on the KVA and voltage.

Not true at all, PPE is still required, you would just use the tables if they can be applied. The exception says a detailed arc flash study is not required, that does not mean PPE is not required. He is getting, and giving very bad advise.

I agree.

Chris

wireguy8169

PPE should always be used and anyone that says it's not need is not someone I would not like to work with or deal with in a professional manner. Even a Hazard Risk Cat 0 recommends for Long sleeve shirt, Long pants , and safety glasses, mininmum.

Status
Not open for further replies.