Home automation "smart" switches in outdoor locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

Homeowner wants to add "smart" control switches to some outdoor lighting. The switches are made by HAI and can be seen here.

The loads are currently controlled by groups of 3-way and 4-way switches, split between indoor and outdoor switch locations. The existing outdoor switches are behind weatherproof coverplates with levers that act on the standard style toggle switch inside the enclosure.

The problem is that the HAI "smart" switches only come in decora style, so they wont work with the weatherproof switch covers.

The only option I can think of right now is to place the "smart" switches under flat metal flip-covers (the kind typically used for GFCI outlets like these by Taymac). But I see some problems with using these:

1. When the cover is opened, the indoor-rated switch is exposed with nothing to prevent intrusion of water into the switch. Some of these switch locations are poolside, so it's likely that wet hands will be touching them. That could present a shock hazard, and could also cause water damage to the switch internals.

2. The switches are not as easy to access or use, requiring two hands to open the cover and activate the switch. And since the switch is below eye level, the open cover will obscure the view of the switch.

3. One of the outdoor switch locations is a 3-gang box, and I've only seen these types of covers made in single and 2-gang configurations.

If I do go with a flip-cover, I am inclined to put the branch circuit on a GFCI breaker to minimize the shock hazard. But that doesn't alleviate the other problems. I was thinking it would be good if I could get some kind of clear silicone rubber membrane that I could sandwich between the switch and the external flip-cover, but I haven't been able to find such a thing.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Jon456

How do you plan on overcoming their spec that states " For indoor use only"?

Hmmm... ??? Actually, it was HAI's Tech Support that suggested the weatherproof GFCI flip-covers when I called them to ask if they had any outdoor switches (or toggle-style switches to fit behind weatherproof switch plates).

Does that mean every device (receptacle, switch, etc.) that goes into a weatherproof enclosure must be rated for such?

g3guy

"Gerry, our dimmers, non-dimmers and relay switches are for indoor use only per the installation instructions.

Thank You for choosing HAI and our Award Winning Line of Products

Tom Cressionnie
Home Automation Inc.
800-229-7256 opt 1
tom.cressionnie@homeauto.com"

I got it in writing!

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Along these lines, I have job specs calling for a "smartbreaker" for "flexibility or switching and timing of lighting". I googled smartbreaker and came up with an Eaton Smart Breaker, but it gives no product # or fine detail. Says it comes in 120/240/480/600v versions, allows 24v control & is approved for other brands, see list.

Anyone used this yet, or heard much of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.