Would You or Wouldn't You

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Would You or Wouldn't You

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as adding one more receptacle being a killer on the budget, then I don't expect to see more receptacles than required at other counter spaces, and don't expect to see receptacles any closer than nearest stud that is less than 12 feet from the next receptacle in other rooms:-?

Sorry but even on low budget jobs I put in more than code minimum and if my price is too high I don't want the job, I was going to lose on it anyway.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A more fun question would be "How many inspectors would require a receptacle at an 11" counter? Then we could have a 500 count thread!:grin:

kitchens are hard, there's nothing to measure off of as a rule so as an installer you take a chance when you think it's only 11" there because of the sink or some other appliance and then it comes in 3" smaller than was on the plans. I would think that making a cabinet an even number like 12" is easier than making an 11" cabinet.

As an inspector I have signed off roughs with outlets missing and a notice and I'm not coming by tomorrow to see if you put it in. You can put it in at rough or final, doesn't matter to me, but I know that it's easier at rough.

Also you want to argue over an inch that's fine, but guess who's not going to get that inch either.

elohr46

My Son has that exact scenario in his home but with a Gas Range. My D-inlaw put an inexpensive plastic coffee maker there and later noticed that the heat from the Range had distorted the plastic somewhat. So now it's steel or porcelain appliances only in that spot, also watch that the cord doesn't get too close either. So my vote would be no outlet.

480sparky

kitchens are hard, there's nothing to measure off of as a rule.......

I don't know about you, but I won't wire a kitchen unless I have a full set of prints....... plan, elevation and isometric views.

As for what to measure off of, I generally use walls.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't know about you, but I won't wire a kitchen unless I have a full set of prints....... plan, elevation and isometric views.

As for what to measure off of, I generally use walls.

Like someone else said, if you can tell the difference between an 11" counter and a 12" counter by looking at the plans, your a better man than I.

When I'm there for inspection there is usually some paint on the floor or what not telling where the cabinets are "supposed" to go. Again, do what ever you feel you need to do at rough, but don't pull the old, it wasn't on the plans excuse or the but you signed the rough, at final.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Again, if you're willing to go off of something that some designer drew, you go right ahead. You'll only look smarter if it's really 11", but you'll be working a lot harder if it ends up being 12".

g3guy

When I used to wire houses(retired),the house was mine! If I thought something was needed such as in this case, in it goes. I never had anyone say "take it out". As already mentioned, tract housing is something else. But even then the future homeowner may be around during construction and now we have an up-sell!

360Youth

Again, if you're willing to go off of something that some designer drew, you go right ahead. You'll only look smarter if it's really 11", but you'll be working a lot harder if it ends up being 12".

If the prints say 11" and it ends up being 12" I call that a change order. But we all know that means nothing in the residential market. Most of my scales say, "Whatever my penstroke happens to be at the time." :grin:

Lady Engineer

Is there something in the code which will require an outlet every 2 feet for residental kitchens, or am I mistaken?

It's not needed, but you could have a can opener there too...you never know!

Jim W in Tampa

Is there something in the code which will require an outlet every 2 feet for residental kitchens, or am I mistaken?

It's not needed, but you could have a can opener there too...you never know!
Your almost right. It says you must have a receptacle within 2 feet. That works out to 4 feet max apart. Also says any counter 12 inches or more gets one. In good design i would hope you have it even on the less than 12 inchers

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As stated above, it's a receptacle within 2' along the counter-wall line. I call it the 2-4-4-2 rule, which applies to any space 1' or more, as we're discussing.

The regular, non-counter kitchen wall-space receptacles follow the same 6-12-12-6 rule that other rooms do, along with the same 2'-or-wider wall-space rule.

Lady Engineer

Your almost right. It says you must have a receptacle within 2 feet. That works out to 4 feet max apart. Also says any counter 12 inches or more gets one. In good design i would hope you have it even on the less than 12 inchers

Thanks...thought something like that. I don't do much residential, if at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.