Rigid installed on top of concrete floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Is it permissible to install rigid conduit (1/2") on top of a concrete floor adjacent to the cable guard in a commercial garage between two post of a 2-post above ground lift? (In other words the vehicle will run over the conduit every time it drives on/off the lift area.)

big john

Is it permissible to install rigid conduit (1/2") on top of a concrete floor adjacent to the cable guard in a commercial garage between two post of a 2-post above ground lift? (In other words the vehicle will run over the conduit every time it drives on/off the lift area.)
I don't know that it's illegal, but I think it's a poor install. Rigid isn't bullet-proof. Having enough vehicles drive over it will start to deform it, and once it gets too far out-of-round it will crush pretty quickly.

I also think you might run into problems securing it. Having it act like a speed-bump for every car might rip it off the floor faster than it would get crushed.

Is there a "Plan B"?

-John

jusme123

Occupation
JW

No, the plan you have is not allowed. No inspector will ever pass that.

Last edited:

Split Bolt

I agree that a pic would be helpful. I'm curious about the cable guard you mentioned. How about a jack hammer for plan B?

hardworkingstiff

Fyi

Fyi

This was the customer's request (trying to save money on renting a sizzor lift to come down from a 20' ceiling). I told him I'd have to think about it. Got a call into the AHJ about it, thought I'd run it by this forum too.

I think installing a steel guard over the conduit would be more cost effective than breaking up concrete.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
How much is the rental of a lift?
Must be less than installing a steel gaurd; steel, anchores,drilling, bolts.
How will the pipe get to the bay?
I love it customers will not pay electrical but let the crapper back up and they will pay any thing.

hardworkingstiff

How much is the rental of a lift?
Must be less than installing a steel gaurd; steel, anchores,drilling, bolts.
How will the pipe get to the bay?
I love it customers will not pay electrical but let the crapper back up and they will pay any thing.

You left out adding in the cost of supporting the wiring method dropping out of a 20' ceiling. Customer already said he did not want a cord, so I'm open to any suggestions on how you would do it.

I'll try to get some pictures today and post them.

RETRAINDAILY

If it is wood ceiling I would put a rod hanger on a 10' rod and put the other end in the drill.
shoot it off a 10' ladder, cut off part of the rod, put a mini on it.

you can get self tapper hangers but I've never tried it in steel.

hardworkingstiff

If it is wood ceiling I would put a rod hanger on a 10' rod and put the other end in the drill.
shoot it off a 10' ladder, cut off part of the rod, put a mini on it.

you can get self tapper hangers but I've never tried it in steel.

It's a metal building, so steel. I'm not sure what a "mini" is, but it sounds like you are going for vertical support, but, what about lateral support? Is lateral support required?

pete m.

It's a metal building, so steel. I'm not sure what a "mini" is, but it sounds like you are going for vertical support, but, what about lateral support? Is lateral support required?

344.30(B)(3) would allow 20 foot in a vertical application without support (that particular section does not mention lateral securement).

Pete

macmikeman

If you strap that rigid about every 8" to the concrete that should secure it from movement enough. If you are still unsure then why not pour a concrete ramp over top of it. If somebody tells you the weight of a vehicle with rubber tires filled with air is too much for rigid conduit, then explain to them about all the weight imposed on any rigid conduit buried below the slab of a high rise building, its way more.

Status
Not open for further replies.