service and feeder question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabe277

im estimating a house that is a total remodel and they want to relocate the the load center from outside to inside the utility room . ok so my question is are you allowed to run RNC under the house fastened to the wood jjoist . NOT UNDERGROUND . and then come up through the wall where the 200 amp meter can will mount .

question #2 can you bond your neutral in the meter can to the ground rod outside . and if the disconnnect is in the 200 amp load center do i need extra protection outside ? its about 15 feet

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
200 amp

200 amp

you can ground the neutral at the meter sockett but you must run a ground in your pipe to the panel ,,,rnc is ok if not subject to damage, you can use a meter sockett with a 200 amp breaker the just use a main lug only panel.

gabe277

you can ground the neutral at the meter sockett but you must run a ground in your pipe to the panel ,,,rnc is ok if not subject to damage, you can use a meter sockett with a 200 amp breaker the just use a main lug only panel.

thanks for your input i thought about using the main lug panel but mostly alll the material has been bought and they bought a main breAKER PANEL , AND THE ELECTRICIAN WHO SATRTED the job already installed it .. sorry my caps lock got stuck

hurk27

First you must realize that service entrance conductors are not protected in any way, they will burn free if ever shorted, if they are installed inside of a building against flammable material they will catch that building on fire if they or the panel ever shorts out!

This is why the NEC limits them to just long enough to reach the main breaker, in most areas this will be about 5'

Now look at 230.70(A)(1) and then look at 230.6 to see what is Considered Outside the Building.

as from what you have posted it sounds like your going to need a service disconnect outside, or a meter main, the panel can be used with a main breaker, but you need to protect those service entrance conductors, which by the way they will change to feeders so a 4-wire will have to be brought in to the panel.

I would not do this even if a inspector told me I could, just because I know this installation could burn a house down, and those inside of it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Question 1- Like Wayne said you need to see if these conductors are considered outside of the building. I would go with his suggestion and install a Main OCPD adjacent to the meter and use a MLO for the utility room panel. If the panel already has a main then you can still use it.

Question 2- Some POCO's do not allow a GEC connection in their meter enclosure.

gabe277

thanks for the info i was thinking the same thing if you dont protect your cables from outside the meter then they will always be hot with no ocp .and yes I was thinking of running the four wire .
my main concern was running the conduit under the house , but i guess that it would not be subject to physical damage . so we would be ok .

I was looking for a meter main combo but i havnt seen one like thaat i only seen the meter load center combos . i probably just get a fused disconnect 200 amp if i cant find combo . what do ya think
.?

mcclary's electrical

thanks for the info i was thinking the same thing if you dont protect your cables from outside the meter then they will always be hot with no ocp .and yes I was thinking of running the four wire .
my main concern was running the conduit under the house , but i guess that it would not be subject to physical damage . so we would be ok .

I was looking for a meter main combo but i havnt seen one like thaat i only seen the meter load center combos . i probably just get a fused disconnect 200 amp if i cant find combo . what do ya think
.?

I like an outdoor rated 8 space feed thru for this situation. Then your a/c, well pump, accessory buildings, sewage pump branch circuits don't have to find their way into the house.

Also, 1 of the 3 power companies I deal with WILL NOT allow a GEC to enter the meter base.

mlnk

Why not install a 200 amp meter load center combo service. It costs about the same as a meter/main. Use a feeder lug, a circuit breaker plastic housing with no switch, to feed the 200 amp sub. My question , is it OK to run ENT , smurf, to feed the sub panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.