Large Switchboard Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Can a section and be ADDED to existing switchboards? What does that entail to get it together and working. Is that a "bus tie"? Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
Often yes, sometimes no.

A call to your vendor of that manufacture with the information from the tags on the gear should be able to get the question answered fairly quickly.

You have to watch the ratings, the ratings of the sections sometimes fall as you move away from the main.

I had a 4000 amp gear that the originally installed final section was only rated 1200 and we needed to add a 2000 amp section.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Typically we will have the switchboard checked by an engineer for loading and then a switchboard manufacturer will come out and measure for a new section. It can be done but under some specific parameters to keep the listing of the old and new switchboards intact.

charlietuna

Major manufacturers maintain records on every switchboard they manufactured. The serial number will determine which plant it was built in, and that plant can provide the gear's capabilities. To maintain U.L. ratings, the same manufacturer will be required, so they are usually very helpful = $$$$$

iwire

Staff member
Major manufacturers maintain records on every switchboard they manufactured. The serial number will determine which plant it was built in, and that plant can provide the gear's capabilities. To maintain U.L. ratings, the same manufacturer will be required, so they are usually very helpful = $$$$$

Actually a UL listed panel shop can make a new section for another companies gear.

It is imposable to 'void' the UL listing, it is up to the AHJ to determine if the modifications are enough to require UL to come out and look at it.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Major manufacturers maintain records on every switchboard they manufactured. The serial number will determine which plant it was built in, and that plant can provide the gear's capabilities.
Maybe, but most probably not.

I know it is impossible to get original the bussing layout of equipment from GE and Square D for gear more than 10 years old. In the old days (<1990's) bussing details were basically custom for each project. The shop floor had guidelines it needed to follow but the details were usually left to the assembler.

charlietuna

I have added to, and fully replaced switchgear rated up to 4000 amps in GE, Sq-D and Seimens by providing the manufacturer, the project's name, and the nameplate information. This is also true on busduct. And all this gear more than ten years old and some 25 years old. The serial number provides them which plant it was made,and the date. From there they get the information from "that" plant. We had a twenty year old G.E. - 4000 amp switchgear blow up and it couldn't be removed due to space considerations. The gear had to be disassembled in place -- then the new matching gear disassembled and rebult in place under the bus duct. I had two factory mechanics do the job over a weekend. I had no factory drawings--only the nameplate information.

ohmhead

Can a section and be ADDED to existing switchboards? What does that entail to get it together and working. Is that a "bus tie"? Thanks.

Just give the factory rep a call they will design it for you . But there made to add on theres always a buss thats ready to hook on to and if you got the cash it can be done real fast !

70d04cf8.jpg

09afebd4.jpg

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
OHMHEAD...thanks man!! Great pics... Actually I don't remeber the size of the extg. switchboard(will see tomorrow) but it's going up to the 40th floor of a building. YIKES!!! Might have to be rigged depending on the size. How else could it get up there??? Not a freight elevator...I don't think.

By the way it looks like there are several busses in your pics. THought there s only one bus or is there one for each phase? Then the two "busses" on the bottom. What are those? Ground bar , Neutral bar???? Thanks bud!

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Yup A B C top to bottom then the ground next the neutral bar 40 floors and no elevator ? Wow

There is a freight elevator but I would imagine some are to big(like the one in the pics) to fit in an elevator. Then what do you do if it happens to have to go many floors up(rare but this is the case this time)???

zog

Never mentioned a company name Roger, just said that is what we do. You going to delete every post by an electrician that says they do electrical work?

zog

Moderator responsibilities include:

Periodically review new threads and posts, and post comments as desired.
Periodically scan the forum for “moderated” threads or posts, and take appropriate action (e.g., approve, disapprove, delete, etc.).
Prevent the use of rude or inappropriate language and the display of unprofessional behavior towards another member.
Prevent the discussion of an inappropriate topics, such as politics, religion, race, cultural heritage, or union versus non-union situations.
Prevent the use of the Forum by a person who is not an electrician and who is seeking assistance in performing their own electrical installation work.
Prevent the use of the Forum as a means to gather information for a legal dispute.

Nothing I said even came close to violating anything here, you seem to delete about every other post I make apparantly because we live in the same area and you think we do the same work, which I assure you we don't. I am really sick of the treatment I get here from you and think you are abusing your power for your own agenda.

iwire

Staff member
Moderator responsibilities include:

Periodically review new threads and posts, and post comments as desired.
Periodically scan the forum for ?moderated? threads or posts, and take appropriate action (e.g., approve, disapprove, delete, etc.).
Prevent the use of rude or inappropriate language and the display of unprofessional behavior towards another member.
Prevent the discussion of an inappropriate topics, such as politics, religion, race, cultural heritage, or union versus non-union situations.
Prevent the use of the Forum by a person who is not an electrician and who is seeking assistance in performing their own electrical installation work.
Prevent the use of the Forum as a means to gather information for a legal dispute.

Nothing I said even came close to violating anything here, you seem to delete about every other post I make apparantly because we live in the same area and you think we do the same work, which I assure you we don't. I am really sick of the treatment I get here from you and think you are abusing your power for your own agenda.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/about/about_forum.htm
Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
No information gathered from this web site shall be treated as being the opinion of an 'expert witness, and you do not have anyone's permission to present such information as evidence in any type of legal dispute.

Considering the real-time nature of this forum, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this forum or any entity associated with this forum. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum.

Although this forum does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at this forum reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, Mike Holt Enterprises, (the owner of this bulletin board), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We at this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this forum.

It should be noted that any comments made in this forum are personal opinions and represent personal responses as requested. Any opinion must not be considered as a Formal Interpretation of the NEC? and is not to be considered as an official position of Mike Holt, Mike Holt Enterprises, Inc., the NFPA, the NEC? Technical Correlating Committee, any of its Code Making Panels, or any other company or organization.

Installers, contractors and electricians are to comply with local laws and ordinances, including permits and inspections where required. This forum is for Contractors, Electricians, Engineers, Inspectors, Instructors and other electrically related individuals.

Not that I think you will care but Roger got the opinions of at least two other mods and who also felt you post went beyond helpful and into advertising the company you work for.

We don't let others push their own companies I have no idea why you feel you should be able too.

wireguru

none of my business, but Zog didnt post his company (and i dont recall him ever doing so. it took me some doing a while ago to figure it out) if he had posted something along the lines of 'yeah we rebuild switchgear check us out at xyz.com' that would be inappropriate. his post was more of 'we rebuild switchgear, infact are #1 in the field, so yes it can be done' without identifying his company or directly soliciting any business from the poster. my 2 cents, i guess everyone's opinion is different when it comes to things like this.

zog

http://forums.mikeholt.com/about/about_forum.htm

Not that I think you will care but Roger got the opinions of at least two other mods and who also felt you post went beyond helpful and into advertising the company you work for.

We don't let others push their own companies I have no idea why you feel you should be able too.

I never mentioned my company name, in fact I recommended the OP used the OEM if it was current production stuff, but if it is obsolete the OEM will not do it. I believe that is the sort of advise the OP was looking for.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I never mentioned my company name, in fact I recommended the OP used the OEM if it was current production stuff, but if it is obsolete the OEM will not do it. I believe that is the sort of advise the OP was looking for.

Hmmmm, did it ever occur to you to PM the OP with everything you wanted to say including your company name?

Roger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.