How Connect NM to Panel? - Old Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4gery

Those backwards button connectors are a great idea. I have always just used a normal button connector backwards and made sure to staple the wire well when it's going into the wall. Using a 2-screw metal romex connect requires a huge hole where it enters the wall, not the best method.

Gaffen99

I was in a supply house the other day and some company makes a old work ring that is rectangular and is cut into the sheetrock above the panel. Then it has a white finish cover when you are done that snaps into place. If you can picture that, I guess it's about 14"x4".
Arlington makes it I think.

M4gery

I was in a supply house the other day and some company makes a old work ring that is rectangular and is cut into the sheetrock above the panel. Then it has a white finish cover when you are done that snaps into place. If you can picture that, I guess it's about 14"x4".

So it's basically just an access panel?

I know you can buy plastic access panels at Home Depot for under $15. They are spring loaded and clip right into a cutout in the sheetrock or plaster. A plumber used one in a closet on a job I was on and I was surprised at how well it sat against the wall.

jetlag

Actually I have used those before in new work but I've not had much luck getting them through the knockout once the wire is in them. It's the wire that spreads them out so they stay in. Now that you mention it, I suppose I could try to force one in with the wire in it and see what happens. Thanks.

I know the ones you are talking about there are not made to put in from the box side and they are split to go over the wire. if you try to go in from the box the clamps are backward and wont slide on the wire. The trick is Defeat the clamp some with a screw driver so it is not so tight, then put it on the wire close to the knock with the wire not connected in the box and push the wire and connecter together backwards into the knock out. The reason I use these some time is they come in 3/4 '' . the ones they show in the photo work much better and are made to install from inside but I can only find those for 1/2 ko.. and I but them by the large box from big blue.

jetlag

wont pass

wont pass

I forgot to say the way I was talking about using the 3/4 plastic wont pass inspection if the ahj is alert because the clamp is holding the wire in the wrong direction

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I sometimes cut a hole for an old work box, install the box and blank it off whien I'm done. But I like your idea better.

M4gery

It's so easy to patch holes and you charge for the time to do it. A "rough patch" with Easy Sand 20 is easy and quick. The homeowner could put a second or third layer of spackle over it to make it look pretty and then paint it.

juptonstone

wire into flush mount panel

wire into flush mount panel

I usually cut a 6X6" hole over the panel and then, after getting the wire in, I use a "plumber's" access panel (9x9" spring-loaded, white plastic panel) to cover it. Customers are invariably OK with that. They also make a romex connector with a snap lock on it, so when you push it into the hole, it locks itself in.

David40

I forgot to say the way I was talking about using the 3/4 plastic wont pass inspection if the ahj is alert because the clamp is holding the wire in the wrong direction

That is something I've always thought about when it comes to connecting to the panel. When it comes to NM cable why is it so important to clamp or squeeze it at the entry point? It's buried in the wall and stapled down the line so it's not going to move. It would seem to me any kind of simple grommet to protect the wire from the sharp edges of the metal would be sufficient. It's not like the wire is a structural component that's going to hold the house together in a 200 MPH wind storm.

M4gery

That is something I've always thought about when it comes to connecting to the panel. When it comes to NM cable why is it so important to clamp or squeeze it at the entry point? It's buried in the wall and stapled down the line so it's not going to move. It would seem to me any kind of simple grommet to protect the wire from the sharp edges of the metal would be sufficient. It's not like the wire is a structural component that's going to hold the house together in a 200 MPH wind storm.

NM doesn't have to be clamped or squeezed in all cases, take a look at most single gang nail on boxes, there is just a KO for the romex to come thru, no grommet or any other protection.

In the case of this thread, the wire fished down to the panel wouldn't be supported in the wall, so it would need some type of clamp.

kwired

Electron manager
NM doesn't have to be clamped or squeezed in all cases, take a look at most single gang nail on boxes, there is just a KO for the romex to come thru, no grommet or any other protection.

In the case of this thread, the wire fished down to the panel wouldn't be supported in the wall, so it would need some type of clamp.

In that case you are required to secure the cable within 8 inches of the box instead of the 12 that is allowed in practically all other places.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Several types of plastic snap ins can be used. I have seen 1 that had a "gentle" grip on the wire. Easy to snap in, then fish through. I worked with 1 guy who always insisted on metal connectors. I would cut a small slit under panel, hold a locknut at KO with needle nose pliers, then thread the clamp from the inside and fish through with it wide open. A pain to do.

1 of the bad habits I was taught early that I had to unlearn: Lots of otherwise good electricians would just go through the KO with no connector at all. Not the worst thing anyone ever did, but sloppy, against code & can be dangerous. May do ok for 50 years, may not. Others later taught me the ways to work it, including the access below or above panel & blanking it off. LV brackets are great for that. A 2g bracket gives lots of room to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.