2011 NEC - when to adopt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

NC usually adopted the new code book on Jan 1st until the 2008 code cycle. Home builder groups were lobbying against TR receps and added arc faults, so it took a few months IIRC. I would expect the 2011 to be adopted per usual this year.

I am not to be quoted but as it stands now we are looking at March 30th but it might be in June depending on several things.

wbalsam1

How about adoption of 2005 for RC?

How about adoption of 2005 for RC?

I hope this is not a repeat question, I did a quick site search and did not find an answer.

1. Is your jurisdiction planning on adopting the 2011 NEC this coming year (2011)?

2. What NEC Cycle will your juridiction be in during the 2011 year?

Here are the reasons I am asking.

1. NYS has adopted the 2008 NEC, to be effective basically December of this (2010) year. This code cycle will be in effect for no less than 2-3 years.

I am about to head to the Eastern Section IAEI meeting, and the meetings will be addressing the 2011 NEC. I do not understand the merit to this, unless I am just in the dark as to which jurisdictions may be adopting the '11 NEC.
Do I really want to spend the $$ to go, including the loss of 2 work days, to study a code cycle for which I do not plan on buying the '11 code book for 2 years???
I have not missed one of the Eastern Section meetings in more years than I really want to say.:confused:

Thanks for your responses.

Hi Pierre: I've been out of the "loop" for quite awhile now. If NYS enacts the 2008 in December of 2011, will the Residential Code adopt/enact the 2005 NEC edition, or will that finally move up to the 2008 edition as well?
Thanks in advance.
Fred.

Last edited:

brian john

California technically has its own California Electrical Code; however, the next edition ("offically" 2010) is based on the 2008 NEC. It is effectively 99.9% NEC with some modest medical and fire marshal modifications. It also has "administrative" content. It goes into effect Jan 1, 2011.

Isn't a bit ironic that states or cities on the edge of bankruptcy, want to spend money duplicating a service that is free.

CA, NYC....

iaov

I'm pretty sure the world will still be here after 2012 but unfortunatley so will be the CMP's. This three year code cycle seems way to short to me. Half the states haven't even adapted the last book and the next one is coming out. I may be wrong but I think most of the major issues in electrical safety have pretty well been adressed!!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Washington State is July 1, 2011, 6 months earlier than the 08. The state is accepting proposals to change the state rules Sept 7 thru Oct 8. Washington does a good job of fixing the mistakes in the code. We didn't accept the expanded AFCI rules and I don't see that changing.

2011 adoption

2011 adoption

In Chattanooga, Tennessee we adopted the 2008 NEC with a few exemption
but not enough . The 08 is so commerically motivated we were reluctant to adopt it. I dread to see what the 2011 will do to the trade . I feel the Code Panels have drifted from common sense protection to trying to be the Savior
of the World and it can't be done.
Do you know of any districts that are moving away from the IAEI to the ICC
Code Certifications
Thanks for your thoughts

pfalcon

Bottom line for OP is: Find where your state declares adoption and come up with an estimate when they will do so. Take your best shot.

Yep and it can even get more so when you deal with Indiana, we just adopted the 2008 last November, but many local inspectors still think were on the 2005.:roll: some of the test I had to take was on the 2005, go figure.:cool:

Example: For IN see Indiana Administrative Code 675-IAC-17
Adopted 2002 on 08/14/2002
Adopted 2005 on 10/21/2005
Adopted 2008 on 07/27/2009
Estimate 2011 between 08//2011 to 08//2012

Status
Not open for further replies.