Does it need to be UL listed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProcessMark

I work in the retail display industry. We make point of purchase displays for retailers. We are working on a current project that involves creating a lightbox made of plastic that contains 2 bulbs, one LED, one Halogen. The goal of the display is to measure the watt usage of each bulb to show the consumer how much power they can save by using the LED bulb. The components include a Watt meter, toggle switch, the two bulbs (w/casings), a dimmer switch (w/ separate power switch), and the wiring needed to hook it all up. All of these components are UL listed themselves. My question is does this need to be UL listed? I had heard something like that if you used 8 (or less) UL listed parts, then you didn't need to worry about having the entire unit UL listed, is this true?
Any info about what we need to do for this display as it relates to UL listing or not would be helpful. thanks.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
...I had heard something like that if you used 8 (or less) UL listed parts, then you didn't need to worry about having the entire unit UL listed, is this true?
Addressing this issue only;
The requirement for NRTL listing varies by jurisdiction. Not all states require it, those that do have their own code sections that word it differently. In Washington state for example, the number in reference to your statement above is 5 devices, including the box. But in all cases, regardless of how you or I interpret the state clauses that add the NRTL requirements, the local AHJ has the final word so your best bet is to just ask him / her. To Don's point also, your insurance carrier may have something to say about it regardless of whether an AHJ is involved or not.

By the way if you ask UL what might you think their answer will be? ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the question is liability. There are many lamps and products out there that are not UL approved but if something should happen then your company may be liable. Of course, even if UL listed you could be liable in case of an accident.

Personally I don't see an issue if everything is wired safely with UL products. Of course what I think doesn't matter. Don has the right idea.

tttoo

UL would consider the complete assembly a "Luminaire" and would evaluate it as a complete unit. If the quantities are small, UL has a field listing program that will evaluate each installation on its own merrits. The field listing is only for permanent installations though, and not for portables.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington state for example, the number in reference to your statement above is 5 devices, including the box.

I belive that rule no longer applies, its in the electrical RCW or WAC, but I could be wrong. If you know where that requirement is please advise.

And to the orginal poster, states often have rules on product listing, for example washington has required product listing since 1935 for electrical products.

And Sylvania has a counter display that is the same as what you are describing. I have seen it at my wholesale house, if I get by there I will look and see if its listed.

Electric-Light

Many retailers have GE Reveal dispaly thing comparing regular lamp to Reveal.

Home Depot and/or Lowe's also have Lutron display thing showing power saved by using a dimmer. You might want to check out how they're setup

Wha Who?

UL's mission is to protect people and property. Nobody can say without testing how much heat this setup will generate to go over the prescribed and specified limits of insulation and other combustable materials. UL does permit some applications to be Listed without testing as historical experience from test data can provide.

If your insurance carrier and your locality do not specify that electrical devices must have UL Listing, then you are free to do what you want.

An assembly of UL Listed electrical devices does not at all infer overall UL Listing as that assembly can abuse historical knowledge.

Wha Who?

UL's mission is to protect people and property. Nobody can say without testing how much heat this setup will generate to go over the prescribed and specified limits of insulation and other combustable materials. UL does permit some applications to be Listed without testing as historical experience from test data can provide.

If your insurance carrier and your locality do not specify that electrical devices must have UL Listing, then you are free to do what you want.

An assembly of UL Listed electrical devices does not at all infer overall UL Listing as that assembly can abuse historical knowledge.

I should add: ........ can abuse historical knowledge regarding maximum wattage, spacings and therefore possibly overheat to the extent where a fire hazard may exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.