GFI's and lightning strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafischer1979

I recently was called to check out a residence have a lightning strike on or very close to the structure. Although no physical damage could be seen in the service or branch wiring, three different GFI's were tripped. They reset and appear to work normally when tested. I think they should be replaced, not knowing what damage could have happened to the electronics in the device. Is there a UL or other source addressing this matter? Thanks.

mcclary's electrical

I recently was called to check out a residence have a lightning strike on or very close to the structure. Although no physical damage could be seen in the service or branch wiring, three different GFI's were tripped. They reset and appear to work normally when tested. I think they should be replaced, not knowing what damage could have happened to the electronics in the device. Is there a UL or other source addressing this matter? Thanks.

In fairness to the customer, if they reset, and tested ok, I'd use them.

Why were you called there?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's not uncommon for GFI's to trip with surges due to lightning, probably a small amount of current flowing from hot to ground, or neutral to ground is induced by the surge. If it resets and tests OK, I would not worry about it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have one in my basement that frequently needs reset after a thunderstorm.

Many others are never affected. Not sure if it has to do with the brand of receptacle, or maybe the amount of wiring connected to the load terminals.

Split Bolt

We've had a slew of thunderstorms in the past month here. For some reason, GFCIs tend to trip during lightning storms, even if the house was not in the worst area. I doubt they need replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.