Ground Dead End

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

Something was done severely wrong in those boxes.

If you coil the ground in the back of the box first, then put the other wires in on top, it would take quite a bit of work to move and twist the ground into position to be able to touch the terminal on the keyless.

Couldn't tell ya, I didn't hang em

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It's not BS, it a measure I take to guarantee the wire never hits the terminals.

I changed my SOP for hanging keyless's after I've seen about ten short out by a long ground hanging around. None of the one's I found shorts in were my work. They were all hung 20 years or so earlier. I decided I would install mine this way to avoid that problem. Some here think it's illegal. I don't.

I understand that-- that was not what the BS was referring to..

I will respond to your statement-- many of us told you we leave 6" and carefully fold the egc back first into the back of the box. When the other wires are connected to the keyless they will hold the egc in place. I have done thousands and I can honestly say that I never had one egc cause a short or even be close. There is a much higher probability of a short in a receptacle. Do you leave that wire short? Of course not. My point is that you are smart enough and aware enough to install 6" in the box and not have an issue so why not do it and avoid and issues with the code--that's the BS I was referring to.

mcclary's electrical

Something was done severely wrong in those boxes.

If you coil the ground in the back of the box first, then put the other wires in on top, it would take quite a bit of work to move and twist the ground into position to be able to touch the terminal on the keyless.

What about a pancake box? there's not always alot of room

mcclary's electrical

I understand that-- that was not what the BS was referring to..

I will respond to your statement-- many of us told you we leave 6" and carefully fold the egc back first into the back of the box. When the other wires are connected to the keyless they will hold the egc in place. I have done thousands and I can honestly say that I never had one egc cause a short or even be close. There is a much higher probability of a short in a receptacle. Do you leave that wire short? Of course not. My point is that you are smart enough and aware enough to install 6" in the box and not have an issue so why not do it and avoid and issues with the code--that's the BS I was referring to.

Because I don't think it's illegal. And for the record, I have never had trouble with any I've hung, maybe thousands like you, I adjusted my SOP because of what I've seen in the field, not becasue my work was failing behind me

mcclary's electrical

Sure there is, you coil the ground in the back and then the other wires on top. I usually tape it.

So what do YOU do in pancake box? 2" is enough to reach the terminals, so do you cut the EGC 1/2" long??

Normally bond it to the box, then push it through and out of a hole if the back of the box

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Because I don't think it's illegal. And for the record, I have never had trouble with any I've hung, maybe thousands like you, I adjusted my SOP because of what I've seen in the field, not becasue my work was failing behind me
I understand you don't think it is illegal but others do and you may run into an inspector that may also so why not avoid a scene-- is it really that hard to leave a little extra wire or are you just be stubborn. :grin:

Obviously, you can do what you want and I am sure you will just as I will do what I think is best. I guess I don't understand the reluctance to leave more wire.

mcclary's electrical

I understand you don't think it is illegal but others do and you may run into an inspector that may also so why not avoid a scene-- is it really that hard to leave a little extra wire or are you just be stubborn. :grin:

Obviously, you can do what you want and I am sure you will just as I will do what I think is best. I guess I don't understand the reluctance to leave more wire.

My next keyless EGC will be 6" just for you, Dennis:D

billsnuff

Perhaps this thread has reached its terminus. :roll:

and possibly, a moderator will come along and terminate it. :D

jus' playing with the words, don't close it on my account.......

By the way, where is Charlie when you need him????????

Status
Not open for further replies.