joist in way of can light

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

If I had prints that showed the light in the center of a counter the carpenters would be sistering two joists and heading off the one in the way.

This happens often in commercial work.
This too often happens in custom/high end residential... Of course after an RFI to GC and 'Design Team' to hack out a cost vs. intent result... For that matter if it was new framing - it was on the GC to frame to accomadate the light...

Anyway - NMFJ to answer such questions - just to ask them?

Nor IMO is it for the OP to decide - RFI to appropriate party is the answer.... Even if the answer from that RFI is that they could care less and you to use your own judgement.

growler

I have a joist on 24'' center from wall down counter top , I have to put the 6'' cans on either 28 3/4 '' or 19 1/4 '' center from wall , which is best ?

Are you working for a homeowner, designer or builder? Normally ever who is paying for the work should be informed of the problem and let them make a decision of how to deal with it.

I would want an OK from someone other than a forum before installing these lights.

Second guessing people can cost you so let them make the decisions.

220/221

19" on center would be about 151/2" to the edge ,.with sheet rock ,..top cabinets with crown molding, if used ,.. would be mighty close

Yeah, got to watch that beefy crown molding.

I don't understand the problem, cut the joist and box it out. Do it all the time.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but, what carries the weight of the cut joist?

eprice

Are you sure it's a violation in all situations? I thought it depends on the span, joist size, etc?

When we talk about joists in residential construction, I assume we're talking about I-joists. Those are part of an engineered system. You can't modify them in any way beyond what the instructions that come with them allow. Cutting a larger hole in the web than allowed on the chart, cutting a flange, or cutting out and headering a joist would require an engineered fix from the manufacturer of the joists. There is an 800 number on the instructions that you can call to get an engineered solution.

Buck Parrish

If I had prints that showed the light in the center of a counter the carpenters would be sistering two joists and heading off the one in the way.

This is the best way to handle it. And suprisingly a lot easier then you might think.

M4gery

When we talk about joists in residential construction, I assume we're talking about I-joists.
When I see the word "Joist" I think 2X8" or 2X10", etc. What you are talking about is usually referred to as a TJI or I-joist.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
That is a building code violation unless you sister joists on either side and head off the cut joists.
Heading off the cut joists into the adjacent (trimmer) joists is of course a requirement for any opening. But for conventional light frame construction using dimensional lumber, you only need to double the trimmer (and header) joists when the header is over 4 feet in span. [2006 UBC 2308.8.3]. Of course doubling may still be a good idea, since conventional framing practice is sometimes bouncier than desirable.

Cheers, Wayne

iwire

Staff member
Heading off the cut joists into the adjacent (trimmer) joists is of course a requirement for any opening. But for conventional light frame construction using dimensional lumber, you only need to double the trimmer (and header) joists when the header is over 4 feet in span. [2006 UBC 2308.8.3].

Good luck with that where I am. :grin:

jetlag

its roof trusses you cant do that to them, the cans are an add on by owner .he depends on me to locate best I can

Status
Not open for further replies.