Service meter/disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle126

I'm replacing an existing 100 amp service and need to install a meter/disconnect outside, my problem is inside the meter/disconnect enclosure there is only 3 lugs available for grounding, not counting the big lug for the service neutral/ground. I live in massachusetts and we need to install a interconecting ground bar under the enclosure. one of the lugs will take up one spot for the wire that goes to that interconecting ground lug then continues to the 2 ground rods. The second spot is for the grounding electrode conductor that goes to the water pipe inside. I still have the ground wire and neutral wire of the 4 conductor ser going to the panel, but only have one lug left, can i instead of running the grounding electrode conductor to one of the lugs in the enclosure install it in the interconecting ground bar under the meter enclosure and then run it to the water meter? Has anyone else run into this situation?

guschash

Why don't run water pipe ground to panel inside the house? Most of the meter/disconnects ,I have install have enough spaces to land wire.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I'm replacing an existing 100 amp service and need to install a meter/disconnect outside, my problem is inside the meter/disconnect enclosure there is only 3 lugs available for grounding, not counting the big lug for the service neutral/ground. I live in massachusetts and we need to install a interconecting ground bar under the enclosure. one of the lugs will take up one spot for the wire that goes to that interconecting ground lug then continues to the 2 ground rods. The second spot is for the grounding electrode conductor that goes to the water pipe inside. I still have the ground wire and neutral wire of the 4 conductor ser going to the panel, but only have one lug left, can i instead of running the grounding electrode conductor to one of the lugs in the enclosure install it in the interconecting ground bar under the meter enclosure and then run it to the water meter? Has anyone else run into this situation?

You can bolt the catv ground bar right to the bottom of the meater sockett.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your neutral for your SER should connect to one of the lugs.
The equipment ground for your SER can be connected with a mechanical lug to the enclosure with a bolt and nut after removing the paint for the lug contact.
As an alternative you could connect your GEC to the water to the GEC going to the ground rod by split bolt provided the rod GEC is adequate for the water.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why don't run water pipe ground to panel inside the house? Most of the meter/disconnects ,I have install have enough spaces to land wire.
It sounds like the panel in the house is not a service panel and the gec cannot connect there.

To the OP. You could run the water pipe electrode and loop it thru the ground rod to the panel so that it is one continuous piece. You can also run a continuous wire to the water pipe-- if it is an electrode and split bolt off the wire to the rod. If the rod is the main electrode then run continuous to it and bug off that to the water pipe.

Buck Parrish

Yes, Its all a service ( the out side meter base combo) Even if it was a separate meter with the disconnect right beside it. It is still considered the SER equipment and it (grounding) could come off either one.
Yours is all still in the same box.
You have no problems.

Now some poco may require it, but the NEC cosders it service equip. until it leaves the fist disconnect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.