Xfmr Circuit per 240.21

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteiner

Is this configuration NEC-compliant? 75kVA xfmr, 480-208/120V, 110A OCPD on the primary (for primary only protection per 450.3B). Double-tapped secondary, one circuit feeding a 150A MCB panel, the other feeding a 100A MCB panel, both circuits less than 25' total length, but one panel is not in the same room as the xfmr.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I guess I should have said the "concept" complies. He might have accidently left off a locknut also :)

bob

Augie
I'm so old when I got out to eat they ask me to pay in advance
Careful Augie. You may be getting to the point where the family asks you to pay and they leave you home.

Mike01

grounding electrode conductor

grounding electrode conductor

next question what size grounding electrode conductor? #2?

msteiner

Let's assume the GEC and EGC are installed per code. My bigger concern is the overall configuration with respect to OCPD's.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
As long as your install is per NEC and the tap rules of 240.21(C) you should have no problem.
240.21(C)states "a set of conductors or EACH set of conductors" so you can have multiple sets from one transformer as long as each fits the tap rules which do not include the transformer being with sight.
I see many installs with the transformer on the opposite side of the wall as the panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Careful Augie. You may be getting to the point where the family asks you to pay and they leave you home.
"We decided to have a dinner in your honor. You should have been there; the food was great." :grin:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
look for it any day..... one of the many joys that accompanies old age...
natural progression... just as "daddy, I love you" means "get your credit card out"

Status
Not open for further replies.