Not Approved Panel Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgrace

I have a few jobs where the locations of sub panels have come into question, mostly existing. I can't find a simple listing of locations not approved.
In one case I have a residence with a panel in a shower wall. It was installed without a permit , I believe this locayion is not approved but I cannot confirm in NEC.

wireguy8169

I looked a bit and only see where service disconnecting means cannot be in the bathroom 230.70 (A)(2), I myself would not put it there but would like to know if there is a code reference that affects what you have...

iwire

Staff member
ARTICLE 240

Overcurrent Protection

II. Location.

240.24 Location in or on Premises.

(E) Not Located in Bathrooms. In dwelling units and
guest rooms or guest suites of hotels and motels, overcurrent
devices, other than supplementary overcurrent protection,
shall not be located in bathrooms.

hgrace

I am aware of 240.24. I know here in DWP we cannot install a service in a shower wall, and agree with teh thinking.
Why then could we install a sub panel. I don't see a sub panel as more safe

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm assuming that when you say DWP you are talking about the Los Angeles area.

Here SCE dictates where the main service is located. For years they were always in the back yard, then they decided that they wanted them in front of the back gate, so they were usually on the garage wall. They didn't care what was on the other side of the wall.

My point is, just because it's a DWP requirement doesn't mean that it's an NEC requirement.

Npstewart

Not sure of the section, but places where there are items that are easily ignitable in close proximity, such as a clothes or linen closet, is prohibited.

hurk27

I am aware of 240.24. I know here in DWP we cannot install a service in a shower wall, and agree with teh thinking.
Why then could we install a sub panel. I don't see a sub panel as more safe

If you look at 240.24 again, it clearly does not allow any overcurrent protection devices in a bathroom, and this means branch circuit breakers also, so sure you can put a sub panel in a bathroom, but you just cant put any breakers in it.:roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.