Grounding compression-type connector & tooll

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The grounding electrode conductor must be cotinuous without slices, except:
[/b]2008 NEC 250.64(C)(1)[/b]

Splicing shall be permitted by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment . . .
I'm interested in splicing through #4 copper with, hopefully, a handtool.

Are most common butt slices suitable?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Al, do you want to splice solid or stranded wire? I'm not sure if you can get but splices for solid wire. I generally use C-Taps to splice GEC's. For #4 you would use an Ilsco ULT-5-Z and for #6 an ULT-4-Z. I can get you Burndy part numbers if you need them. Both of these use a BG or 5/8" die. Do you already have a tool or are you looking to purchase one? A Greenlee K425BG is an inexpensive had tool that will crimp these connectors.

Here is the crimp tool http://www.toolup.com/greenlee/K425BG.html

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Al,
You will have to look at the listing of the connector to find out if it listed for grounding and bonding. After you find a connector that is so listed, you will have to use a tool that is identified for use with that connector. With some connectors, the only identified tool is one made by the connector manufacturer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Curt,
It does not appear that that connector is listed a bonding and grounding equipment. It is listed to UL486A which is the standard pressure connection listing. Grounding and bonding equipment must be listed to UL487. While it is true that in general 250.8 will permit this connector as part of the grounding path, it does not meet the requirements of the rule that Al cited.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Al, do you want to splice solid or stranded wire?
I hope to find a versatile tool that will handle both. #8 & #6 are most common as solid. #4 & up, stranded. And be a tool that is capable of common (non-GEC) splices.

I am willing to buy a new tool.

Last edited:

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don, you appear to be correct. I have not installed many C-Taps for GEC but have on occasion if the existing wire has been damaged or is too short for a panel replacement. The few I have used have been Burndy but I gave Al the equivalent Ilsco part number since the Burndy web site can be a pain to use. I actually called Burndy and they confirmed that these particular C-Taps are not listed for grounding. They do make a version listed for grounding but they must be installed with a hydraulic tool.

I guess I have never really understood why a connector that is listed to carry continuous current is not also listed for grounding.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I suggest a used TBM8 or TBM6 and using H or C taps
Dereck, as Don posted and I confirmed standard C and H Taps are not listed for grounding. According to Burndy they do make a C-Tap that is listed for grounding but it can not be crimped with hand tools. The dies are only available for hydraulic tools.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I see, at the ILSCO site, that the ETL copper E crimps are UL 467 listed for grounding & bonding, but the sizes are not down in the #8, #6 and #4 range (the size range I'm most interested in).

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I guess I have never really understood why a connector that is listed to carry continuous current is not also listed for grounding.
I think it was part of an attempt by a wirenut manufacturer to require the use of green wirenuts on the EGC:grin:.

ceb58

The grounding electrode conductor must be cotinuous without slices, except: I'm interested in splicing through #4 copper with, hopefully, a handtool.

Are most common butt slices suitable?

If you only have one or two to splice it would be cheaper to buy the cad weld one shot. It is a ceramic mold that comes with the weld metal and disc for a one time weld. I think they are in the $12.00 ea range.

dereckbc

Staff member
Dereck, as Don posted and I confirmed standard C and H Taps are not listed for grounding. According to Burndy they do make a C-Tap that is listed for grounding but it can not be crimped with hand tools. The dies are only available for hydraulic tools.
Sorry about that, you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.